[SOLVED] FIRST TIME BUILDER GAMING PC FOR DESTINY 2

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Hey guys! Looking to build my first pc using a mid tower. I have a budget of about 1300$ and I already have the monitor, keyboard, tower, and mouse. Should I start with the AMD Ryzen 3700 or go towards the Intel side? Heading to the Micro Center in Tustin for the black Friday deals tomorrow morning. Would appreciate feedback on this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
For a balanced gamer, budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

As to intel vs. ryzen current gen parts, I would favor intel for most single person gaming.
Favor ryzen for multiplayer games and multithreaded apps.

If your tower has 160mm available for an air cooler, I would go that way.

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.ebay.com/p/4in1-PC-Powe...or-Computer/631889283?iid=142232821294&chn=ps

1. I assemble the critical parts...
For a balanced gamer, budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

As to intel vs. ryzen current gen parts, I would favor intel for most single person gaming.
Favor ryzen for multiplayer games and multithreaded apps.

If your tower has 160mm available for an air cooler, I would go that way.

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.ebay.com/p/4in1-PC-Powe...or-Computer/631889283?iid=142232821294&chn=ps

1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
  1. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
  2. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
  3. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
  4. Install windows.
  5. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
  1. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft security essentials is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
  2. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
  1. Update windows to currency.
  2. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
  3. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.

Reactions: ffr2608
Solution

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
This is the graphics card I'm looking at. Any issues with this? is it a good or bad idea to buy online?
Gigabyte GV-N108TAORUSX WB-11GD AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition 11G Graphic Cards

by Gigabyte

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you mean this GPU:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/g...ce-gtx-1080-ti-graphics-cards-from-aorus.html

Then it looks like a Very good 1080 Ti, but it sells for somewhere around $1900 from what I can find (that's $600 more than your total $1300 budget just for a video card).
https://pcpartpicker.com/search/?q=AORUS+GeForce+GTX+1080+Ti+WATERFORCE+WB+Xtreme+Edition+11G

I'd recommend you consider something like this:
PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 43.03 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1064.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-30 00:40 EST-0500

That would give you Very good performance and still leave you a few hundred dollars for a decent case, mouse, keyboard or whatever.

This is the graphics card I'm looking at. Any issues with this? is it a good or bad idea to buy online?
Gigabyte GV-N108TAORUSX WB-11GD AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition 11G Graphic Cards

by Gigabyte

You probably better off with a RX5700 XT, if you are looking to get a watercooled one, PowerColor just announced their Liquid Devil 5700 XT.

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Having an issue with my deepcool assassin III cooler. The first fan is colliding with the ram and not allowing the cover to close. Center fan fits fine can't reverse the flow because the fan will also hit motherboard plug cover, running a mid tower. can i go with a smaller fan for the outside one?