First time builder here, would like your advice and feedback on this planned build. Thank you!

jromebb

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm planning to be build my own PC and I would appreciate any advice and feedbacks given. My budget would be 1100 USD. Max 1400 USD.

I'm a Mac user for years and I've decided to build a PC because my iMac died and my Macbook Pro is pretty old too. Comparing the price of a new powerful iMac and building my own PC, the latter seems to be a better choice in terms of value and upgradability(of course).

Here's the build that I would like to go for: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/DN2YXH

I'll be using it mostly for coding, internet browsing and casual gaming. Photo and video editing occasionally. Running on dual screens.

Don't intend to OC.

I'm kinda going for the quiet build because my set up will be in my room. I was deciding whether to get the Asus GTX 1070 DUAL 8GB or the current one in the build, Asus STRIX GTX 1060 O6GB. I decided to go for the GTX1060 because it seems more quiet based on the reviews i've read online.

What do you guys think about my planned build?

well...that board is more expensive due to its overclocking capability...and ur cpu is locked, which cannot be overclocked...u can certainly save some money there...
also u have chosen a gpu which doesnt have sli capability...considering that fact, the 750w psu is a overkill...its gud enuf for two gtx 1080 together...u can save some more money there...
other than that everything luks gud...
and if u dont mind the extra cost, then its already gud enuf...

jromebb

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

Hey Hellfire13,

thanks for your input. Do you have any recommendation for another mobo? Also is 600w enough for my build, having consideration of some room for upgrades down the road?

Thanks again!

jromebb

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

The probably upgrade I'll be looking at is upgrading my GPU for a better one down the road, up my ram to 32GB if need to and installing another HDD or an SSD. Don't really intend to OC my cpu.

I actually have another mobo in mind, the H170 Pro Gaming. What do you think about that one instead of the Z170-A?

Thanks for the PSU recommendation, will definitely consider it.

i dont think u need a i7-6700 anyway for coding, internet browsing and casual gaming...if u have chosen it considering the price bracket(higher price better leverage), then u need to rethink that...also u dont need an aftermarket cooler for that chip either for ur requirements...the included one shd suffice...
u can do so much more with that budget...do u want me to optimize ur build???

jromebb

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

I see. I chose the i7 thinking that it would be better for editing and for multi tasking? and I added the cooler as I've read that the stock one could be noisy? hahaha

Yes please, I'd love to help me optimize my build. Really appreciate your inputs and your offer to help me Hellfire13

u never mentioned video editing previously...if that is a part of ur requirement then i wud keep that i7...
i am not sure about the noise of the included cooler...so u can add that if u want...
rx 480(8gb) is equal to a gtx 1060(6gb) but the extra 2gb of vram might come in handy for video editing...u cannot sli the the 1060 in future, so u have to buy another card...but u can crossfire the rx480...just buy another card and it can be added to the rx480...
the psu of 650w has been allocated keeping in mind that an additional card in future may need a repurchase of psu otherwise...
250gb of ssd is enuf...other than the OS and its related operations and load times, anything else u keep on ur ssd does not make any difference...and usually 100gb is enuf for ur C drive...
the monitors are bigger now...
and u still manage to save around 350bucks...

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/hellfire13/saved/RLWXLk

jromebb

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

Wow! thanks man for the effort, I really appreciate it!

AsRock, is it as reputable as Asus?

and the GPU, the reason I chose the Asus Strix gtx 1060 becuase of it's noise level, saw a lot of reviews praising it's minimal noise that's why I chose it. Is the RX480 as quiet or at least close to?

For the rest I really like the suggestions, except for the casing and the monitors. For the casing I like the quiet feature of the Fractal, as for the monitors I can't afford a 27" monitors due to my limited space. lol

Nonetheless awesome optimization and I really appreciate it!

Here is the list which will give you no compatibility issues with MAC OS X:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.80 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell S2415H 23.8" 60Hz Monitor ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: Dell S2415H 23.8" 60Hz Monitor ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1720.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-14 02:53 EDT-0400
CPU: Any i series
MOTHERBOARD: H170 for locked and Z170 for unlocked.
RAM: Crucial(any variant)
SSD: Samsung (many variants)(750EVO doesn't)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda(any variant)
PSU: Corsair(any variant)
GPU: EVGA or Gigabyte(any variant)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H series(all variants) Noctua(some variants)
Case: Any case is good.

Other brands may also work but not guaranteed.

well...i need to check the noise levels on those parts...not sure how much noise it generates...
also do u plan to run mac or windows???
https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4qlnd6/rx_480_mac_compatibility/

jromebb

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

Wow Thanks a lot King Dranzer! I actually was thinking of installing Mac in my build but I find it too troublesome to pick the parts based on that.

So my mobo has to be the ATX version and the CPU must be the K version?

jromebb

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

Hey Hellfire13, yes it would be great if I can install MAC OS X on this build as I'm more used to Final Cut Pro X than Premiere Pro.

Being ATX and being K(unlocked CPU) is not compulsory. Being H170 or Z170 is important there are Mico ATX and Mini ITX motherboards in those lineup. I already quoted that H170 board is used for locked CPUs which means K series is not compulsory but Intel Core i3 i5 or i7 are compulsory the Pentium or core 2 duo will not work.

X99 series is not yet supported by MAC.

jromebb

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

Just saw your quotes. Sucks thats only two brands of GPUs are supported.

Do you run MAC OS X on your rig? What's your build?

did some digging...guess there is not much hackintosh support from either nvidia or amd on their new gen. pascal/polaris cards...i think ur logical choice shd be, either select a 9xx series card which is last gen. and has sum kind of support from nvidia or switch to windows...all that i could find is, ppl are skeptical about using mac osx with pascal/polaris...

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4ufg66/anyone_have_a_gtx_1060_in_their_hackintosh_yet/
https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4u6jr9/nvidia_gtx_1000_series/

Hellfire is correct to some extent but most probably GTX1060 will be supported. If you don't wanna take risk and this being mid of October get all the components except GPU and wait for a month probably drivers will be released for 10series or you will get accurate information about that.

this is a comprehensive hardware compatibility list and should give u some idea...
http://osxarena.com/2015/09/hardware-compatibility-list-for-hackintosh-mac-os-x/

my suggestion...get a imac or switch to windows...

then he has to get something like a gtx 980 or 980ti, which i believe is still overpriced, even after the launch of pascal series...
either that or wait for nvidia/amd support on their newer cards...
also if u r not a heavy gamer or video editor/streamer/renderer, then something like a gtx 950 can do...