First time builder, looking for cpu cooler and RAM recommendations

Dekester

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Hi everyone! I've been looking through all the resources here, and finally decided to post and get answers to the last nagging questions about my build.

First off, here is my build.

I am currently only needing the RAM and CPU cooling/extra case cooling to finish and finally build this. I'm really nervous and yet excited.

A little background on what I'm planning to do. As I said, I'm an extreme novice, but I've been doing research for about 4 months, picking up various parts when they go on sale etc. I am not planning to overclock, as I do not know how and am not keen on ruining any components. I've looked at self contained water cooling systems, and air cooling systems. I like the compact nature of water cooling, but I'm really nervous about leakage and am not sure if my system would need that much cooling. I've also looked at low profile and regular air cooling, and again, I'm not sure exactly what I would need. Also, would you recommend any additional fans for the case at the top or bottom?

As for RAM, I'm looking for 8gb, but I'm unsure whether 2x4Gb or 1x8Gb would be better, and which brand, model is the best for my needs. I am a gamer and plan on playing extensively on this system, (Mostly Wildstar, if I'm totally honest.)

Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to read a post from a new person, and any advice/recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

Solution
The Antec HCG is a great PSU so no problems there, just that the EVGA G2 is a bit better, gold rated and fully modular. Just a bit more bang for your buck but if you already have the HCG then don't worry about it at all. The 4gb version won't hurt you just won't be fully utilized on a 1080p screen.
My recommendations:

Without any overclocking and not mentioning that you were trying for a perfectly silent PC, I wouldn't bother with water cooling. For cooling I would go with the Cooler Master 212 Evo. There's a reason why everyone and their dog has it, because it works, it's quiet, and it's cheap. My i5 with it idles at 30-31C and I've never seen it higher than the mid 50s under gaming load.

RAM running in dual channel will give a 5-10% increase in performance and since your board has 4 slots there's no reason to go with 1 stick. 2x4GB would be the best choice and if in a couple years you decide you want more just make sure you get a common brand/model and you shouldn't have any problem finding more to match for 4x4GB.

Cube_of_Rubik

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
The G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM will serve you right. 8GB is what you want for gaming, and dual-channel is better.

Since you will not overclock, you do not need an expensive CPU cooler. You won't go wrong with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. It is a cheap CPU cooler, which will keep the CPU cool, while staying very quiet.

*Also, Z87 chipset motherboards are for overclockers. You will not overclock, so you only need a B85, H81, H87, or H97 chipset motherboard. A great motherboard will be the Asus H87-PLUS Motherboard.

*Excellent choice on your GPU. Although, I see that you've chosen a 4GB version. I'm assuming you will be using more than one monitor. If not, a 2GB version is the right choice for you.

*Lastly, an 850W PSU is overkill. You will not be overclocking, so you do not need that much watts. I suggest you get a 500-600W PSU, such as the Seasonic M12II Bronze 620W PSU.

numanator

Honorable
Do plan to have a dual GPU setup in the future? That is pretty much the only reason to get an 850w PSU in this build. Assuming you plan to SLI in the future this would be a good full build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($123.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1159.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The CPU cooler is only in there for keeping it a bit more quiet, for temps the stock cooler is sufficient normally. The 4gb 770 is a good choice only if you plan to SLI and have a monitor resolution greater than 1920x1080p (1440p monitor or multiple screens).

Dekester

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
The Power supply was a recommendation from a friend and the first part I purchased. I've since learned much more. The graphics card was on sale for only 25$ more than the 2gb version, so I just thought, what the heck.

numanator

Honorable
The Antec HCG is a great PSU so no problems there, just that the EVGA G2 is a bit better, gold rated and fully modular. Just a bit more bang for your buck but if you already have the HCG then don't worry about it at all. The 4gb version won't hurt you just won't be fully utilized on a 1080p screen.

Solution