Hello. I built my first PC last night. My components are as follows:

ASUS RAMPAGE Extreme v 10 mobo
x2 EVGA GTX 1080 FTWs
6900k CPU
64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 ram
1050W SeaSonic Snow PSU
1 Samsung EVO 850 500gb m.2
1 Samsung EVO 850 1tb SSD

After almost a whole day, I got the pc built. It powered on okay -- taking me right into the BIOS where I expected to be. This is where problem number 1 occurred.

Problem # 1 = it did not recognize my m.2. I researched this, and this seems to be a fairly common complaint. The typical resolution was to go ahead and install Windows, update the drivers, and it should recognize the m.2. You could therefor "clone" the OS onto the m.2 afterwards.

I installed Windows 10 64-bit Pro onto my SSD. It still has yet to recognize my m.2. Problem is still ongoing.

Problem # 2 = My computer has no sound whatsoever. I tried setting up the sound devices to use the speakers on my monitor, but nothing as of yet.

Now, after rebooting my PC, it won't even load up Windows after I exit the BIOS anymore. I went into this expecting a good amount of knowledge to be gained, a fun new experience, and I did expect a great deal of frustration. Now, I feel the frustration is getting me to the point where I am holding viewing this experience as an extremely negative one entirely. I don't want to do that, but I am new to PC building and willing to learn -- I just have no idea where to start.

Any help with these issues is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
First, download the latest IRST 'F6' from Intel and stick it on a USB flash drive. In your bios is a Launch Storage OpRom Policy or similar, which will have the option for UEFI only or with legacy, you want Uefi only. It's probably a submenu under CSM or something, which should be enabled by default. Make sure it's all done under AHCI. Also make sure your m.2 option is manually set to m.2 not auto.

Start the windows install but don't use auto, use custom install and select load driver. This is where you stick in the IRST USB. When it's done, your m.2 should be a visible option to finish the winstall. If you look for the drive as is in bios, you'll not find it, but if things go right you'll see 'windows boot manager' and hopefully the m.2 on the same line. That's your drive.

It's basically the same as tricking the bios into recognizing a raid setup which it ordinarily wouldn't for boot.

Hope this helps.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS