[SOLVED] First time builder: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI and AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Jan 21, 2021
It's time to replace my 11-year old "gaming" PC. This will be my first full build.
I have replaced parts before, but I have never put a PC together from scratch.

I settled on the following parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($309.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($154.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)

I'll be reusing my current video card (Radeon RX 580) and hard drive (Crucial BX500 2TB SATA SSD)

Does anyone have any concerns about these parts?

I've read about the need to flash the BIOS before inserting the CPU. This board has BIOS Flashback, so that should work, but some people have have had difficulties with this step.
Does anyone know if recent motherboards of this kind have already been updated to support the 5600X?

Solution
Are you suggesting that the Hardware Abstraction Layer can't handle the switch from Intel to ADM chips or that Microsoft won't accept the current Windows license because of the hardware changes?
Ive just always been led to believe that any major hardware changes including motherboard, you should always do a clean install of windows as many people experience glitchy systems if they dont. Obviously back up any files beforehand.

Davidc94

Reputable
Feb 11, 2020
These parts look good.
AMD said most amd manufacturers should have ryzen 5000 support and the one you mentioned does say it has the BIOS updated to work with Ryzen 5000 series, at least on amazon's site. Since it's MSI too, I think you will be fine.

Reactions: La couleur du ble
Are you suggesting that the Hardware Abstraction Layer can't handle the switch from Intel to ADM chips or that Microsoft won't accept the current Windows license because of the hardware changes?
Ive just always been led to believe that any major hardware changes including motherboard, you should always do a clean install of windows as many people experience glitchy systems if they dont. Obviously back up any files beforehand.

Reactions: La couleur du ble
Solution

TRENDING THREADS