[SOLVED] First time builder need help choosing a power supply

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Ok so here’s my build.

:Alienware Area 51 7500 case

:asus strix x370-f gaming motherboard

Planning on getting a 1070 gtx, most likely the evga GeForce gtx 1070 ftw

:Ryzen 7 x2700 and the cpu cooler that comes with it.

:2x8 GB ram DDR4 at 3200MHz

:4x case fans 120mm

:1x500gb hard drive and 1x480gb ssd

Any help would be much appreciated since I don’t know anything about power supply’s,

Thanks.

Solution

Something like this would do well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.90 @ OutletPC)
Total: $78.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by...

Something like this would do well:

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.90 @ OutletPC)
Total: $78.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-07 06:46 EST-0500

Or this one, if you want a bit more headroom to OC, and add more power hungry hardware down the line:

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($93.30 @ OutletPC)
Total: $93.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-07 06:47 EST-0500

edit: Getting an RTX2060 would be a much better buy than the 1070. Its cheaper, performs better and has advanced features the GTX doesn't have.

Solution

muddysoap14

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019

Thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking of getting either a 550 power supply Or 650 powersupply but figured I’d ask the question on here just to be sure as I don’t know anything about power supplies.
And as for the 2060 graphics cards to be honest I didn’t even consider those, just spent the past hour looking into them and I think you’re right.
Thanks again.

w

No probs. I'd lean towards a 650w then based on your post. 550w is just to short for me. You prob won't get to 550w usage, but it's better to have a bit of headroom.

BTW, just for informational purposes. SR-71 Blackbird is the resident PSU expert! I've seen hundreds if not thousands of his posts over the years, and his knowledge is second to none. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, he alone piqued my interest in PSU's and the want to learn more. I know nothing in comparison, but have learned from him and others, what make a good PSU, and what doesn't. His advise is always sound, and relevant.

Good luck with the build. Drop me a PM and let me know how you get on with it. Pretty solid choices in there. Will serve you well. Just remember never skimp on a PSU, always get something of quality, specially with your nice shiny new hardware :)