[SOLVED] First time builder - Need monitor suggestions

Dec 27, 2019
Hello All,

First post here in the forums. I've been a console gamer all my life but have finally decided to take the plunge and try building a PC myself. I've spent a couple solid weeks devouring information online and, as to be expected, have seen many different opinions/suggestions on build, monitors, etc.

I'm trying to do my entire build + monitors for $1,000 or less. I plan to upgrade as I grow into this but wanted to see if any of you good folk had advise for me. I'll try to lay this out as coherently as possible.

Needs:
  • I will be using the monitors with my work PC during the day (cheap Lenovo laptop w/ dock) but then pivoting to my built PC at night to game
  • The second monitor is aligned vertically for reading forms/spreadsheets, etc.
  • I tend to play mostly single player games, campaigns, RPGs, etc. Occasionally I'll dabble in a FPS online, or even play through a campaign locally, but not looking to spend most of my time off the bat playing COD, PUBG, etc.

My current planned build (parts not yet purchased, can pivot):
  • XFX Radeon Rx 580 $160
  • XPR Z1 DDR4 3000MHz $63
  • Ryzen 5 2600 $120
  • Corsair CD 550 Watt PSU $65
- Kinston 480GB SSD $53
  • MSI ProSeries AMD B450 ProMax $100
  • Cooler Master Q300L case $45

Total Price: $606

That leaves me with $400 to spend on monitors. The only real preference is to have dual 27in and IPS. The viewing angles are important for me since I'm centered while working, but can move the arms to have my main gaming monitor front and center come play time.

I'm open to any/all suggestions. The OCD in me wants to have the same monitors, but I think from what I've ready with dual monitors it'd be more bang for my buck to just get a decent gaming monitor with the supplemental 2nd just for work.

Thanks in advance. And if any part of this I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, feel free to correct me because I probably don't.

Solution
400$ for a two good 27" IPS monitors is hard to get. Unless you get low end 1080p 60Hz ones.
Why not get a single monitor bigger than 27"?

What resolution and Hz are you looking for? The RX580 is only good for 1080p60Hz gaming.
400$ for a two good 27" IPS monitors is hard to get. Unless you get low end 1080p 60Hz ones.

What resolution and Hz are you looking for? The RX580 is only good for 1080p60Hz gaming.

Solution
Dec 27, 2019

For the first question I'm leaning away from one bigger monitor since I'll be using these for work.

That's actually a good question. I was thinking about ditching my two company-issued 22in monitors for two bigger ones, but I looked up their specs in the interim and they're both 1080p TN panels (Samsung SE450), which I think would be fine to flank a bigger primary monitor since all they're going to be used for is email/spreadsheets anyway.

That being said, would you recommend trying to upgrade the hardware a bit to pair with a 32in monitor thats 144hz? I'd be looking at it straightaway so I could be flexible in the panel type as well.

Full disclaimer, this is like the 4th time I've changed my strategy on the whole thing, lol.