[SOLVED] First time builder, need some advice on parts

Solution
Take a look at GPU benchmarking vids and sites. (to see what fps a particular card gets at 1440p). Check out more than a few games - as there are variances. Some games are very demanding, others not.
You want it to be over 60fps, ideally so its never dips below, but keep in mind that you can lower graphics settings within games. Theres plenty of options, also 2nd hand high end cards for sale.

Too many to list. Hardware Unboxed is a great channel.

fredfinks

Honorable
It's fine, but what monitor do you want to run?
Are you happy with 24" 1080p? You can get a 32" 1440p screen for 235 quid.
youd need to up the GPU though. If you experienced that i can guarantee you justifying the the extra cash very quickly, and youd never consider anything less ever again.

The PC, the box, just drives the thing we look at - the monitor. Unfortunately our interface seems to be rarely mentioned in builds.

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
It's fine, but what monitor do you want to run?
Are you happy with 24" 1080p? You can get a 32" 1440p screen for 235 quid.
youd need to up the GPU though. If you experienced that i can guarantee you justifying the the extra cash very quickly, and youd never consider anything less ever again.

The PC, the box, just drives the thing we look at - the monitor. Unfortunately our interface seems to be rarely mentioned in builds.

what GPU would I have to get to run it on higher settings? Thanks for the reply

fredfinks

Honorable
Take a look at GPU benchmarking vids and sites. (to see what fps a particular card gets at 1440p). Check out more than a few games - as there are variances. Some games are very demanding, others not.
You want it to be over 60fps, ideally so its never dips below, but keep in mind that you can lower graphics settings within games. Theres plenty of options, also 2nd hand high end cards for sale.

Reactions: BPR96
Solution

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020

what’s your opinion on the Radeon RX 5700 XT?

fredfinks

Honorable
Driver issues. Google '5700xt problems'.
or see here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynVO4ZXl0

There always seems to be problems with AMD drivers, but this ones affecting heaps of people (though not all). Not sure if fixed yet.
(i just dont touch AMD GPUs fullstop, but i throw more $ at my pc)

When working, the GPU has decent power and would be good for 1440p.
At that price range id pay a little extra for the nvidia 2070 (it will work, 100%).

Last edited:

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Driver issues. Google '5700xt problems'.
or see here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynVO4ZXl0

There always seems to be problems with AMD drivers, but this ones affecting heaps of people (though not all). Not sure if fixed yet.
(i just dont touch AMD GPUs fullstop, but i throw more $ at my pc)

When working, the GPU has decent power and would be good for 1440p.
At that price range id pay a little extra for the nvidia 2070 (it will work, 100%).

I saw that myself on a few reviews, I was going to ask you about the 2070, that seems to perform really well, do I have to upgrade any of my other components if I’m getting a higher performing GPU?

sorry for a lot of questions I just want to make sure everything is going to be working as it should

This is what I would do, since you said it could be a little more budget:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£155.00 @ Currys PC World)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9a 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£19.99 @ Currys PC World)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£104.91 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£74.55 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£108.00 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card (£298.47 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£56.75 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£79.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 Silent 37 CFM 120 mm Fan (£4.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £902.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-03 18:08 BST+0100

Main focus gaming, Bigger GPU and bigger PSU (not really need it the PSU, can work with the 550w you chosen, this is just to give the system more room to grow up later).

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS