First time Builder, Need some Advice

Ny88rican

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hey all I've always wanted to build my own computer and this summer I will be making some really decent money and I'm looking to put this dream into fruition...

Here is what I do and what I want to be able to do:

- Computer Science Major (Web Design // Development)
- Multimedia
- Gaming
- Video and Photo editing

All in all.. I need a pretty decent performance computer for now and in the future. I have been out of the computer components world for a couple monthsGPU and have lost perspective on what is good for the money etc...

Is ATI finally competeing with Nvidia or is it the same old gag? Also, I've been looking at these new i7 cpus and they seem to be the new top line.

Budget: Max 1500. I feel that 1000 to 1200 can always buy a decent computer that will last a long time. Please don't think you need to stay in budget. If something will perform much better and you go over, say so.

For parts I'm thinking:
Mobo: ??
Case: Antec 900
PSU: Corsair 650w
RAM: Good DDR3 ... crucial, patriot, etc...
CPU: i7 ?
GPU: No idea
HDD: Seagate
DVD: I'm sure I can search for something decent...

Thanks to all in advance who help out.

Ny88rican

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Yeah I just saw that. I'm definitely going to do a little overclocking and as for monitors I think I am going to settle in the 22-24" range.

Ny88rican

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
For the most part, I am budgeting the Tower. Everything else I can get on my own. It's just the tower that I am having trouble with.

Ok then :)

I'll whip up a list right now.
I7 and 4890 combo 510
The GPU is enough to run a 22" well in games. For top performance, you can add a second. Now or later.

Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler 40
Inexpensive but top rated cooler. Slightly cooler models are available for a bit more.

OCZ DDR3 1600 6GB 95
Decent timings and cost.

Asus P6T MB 250
A good performer. 6 memory slots for expansion.

Antec 900 and TP-750 220
This PSU will cover a second 4890 should you choose. It's also partly modular and has excellent voltage regulation.

WD Caviar Black 750GB 80
Good fast HD

LG DVD Burner - SATA 26

That puts you just over $1200, before rebates and before shipping.

Ny88rican

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Thanks a bunch. I just noticed your guide too it was a good read... Good of helped you out even more if I looked at it earlier...