First time Builder

Senji24

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
I am wanting to build a cpu for the first time.

Now I would like to get a i5 7600k for the cpu. For the mother boards that i have looked at they all need a update in order for it to work with that cpu. What I am confused about is whether or not i can use my current laptop to download the update file onto a usb drive and update the Bios while having the i5 in or if i need to first update it with a cpu that is compatible with the bios and then switch to the i5.

Ive been looking into building a computer for a couple days now so I dont really know a whole lot. Also this is the first time ever using this site and all of the threads ive seen dont answer my question or if it has i didnt understand it. Appreciate any help thanks.

Solution
Unless the mobo supports flashback like some ASUS or MSI mobos, you cant update the BIOS with a flash drive

Because it wont turn on or post

if you get a Skylake CPU (that the BIOS on the mobo supports) then yes you can install it then flash the BIOS.

Then install the CPU you want to use. Then it'll work /post
Unless the mobo supports flashback like some ASUS or MSI mobos, you cant update the BIOS with a flash drive

Because it wont turn on or post

if you get a Skylake CPU (that the BIOS on the mobo supports) then yes you can install it then flash the BIOS.

Then install the CPU you want to use. Then it'll work /post

Solution

Senji24

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

So Basically I do need an additionally cpu so that i can get the mobo updated

Senji24

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

Roughly 800 dollars

The main use is going to be gaming, trying to switch from console over to PC. Also learning programming on it but I know that doesnt require really anything.

Senji24

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

I dont need anything fancy for the cpu right? As long as its compatible to start the bios it should work in updating the mobo