First time builder

Solution
I didn't necessarily recommend it since I've never owned it or know much about it. I've only read about it and apparently it's the best not to mention the most expensive. Although it might be overkill. And okay go with the 2600k if you can afford it. As for the computer cases, out of those two, they're both very good. The Cooler Master Haf series are known to be very good. I would definitely put a DVD burner in there separate from the blu ray, only around $20 anyway. If you ever plan to SLI or Crossfire you need more than 650 watts, at least 750 watts, 850+ you would be better off. Finally, for what seems like such as big budget you can definitely do better than a HD 6870. Depending on how much you want to spend or preferences, go for a...

mgoon11

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

xozxox

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
What good about Sandy Bridge though? because of the turbo boost?

Sorry for all these questions, I never had any prior knowledge for building a desktop

and that mobo you just showed me supports crossfire right?

mgoon11

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Well first, socket 1155 apparently is what Intel's upcoming Ivy bridge cpus would use so you can always upgrade, but just check out the craze by Googling and checking out all the reviews. Just take a look at a review right from here at Tom's for example: Intel’s Second-Gen Core CPUs: The Sandy Bridge Review

Basically, to sum it up Sandy Bridge is the best CPUs available today and are downright powerful especially for the money. The i5-2500k is also known for being much better than previous generation i7 for much less a cost.

mgoon11

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
In terms of gaming they are pretty much the same. However, the 2500k is great for its price and many people do not think it is worth the extra $100 for the 2600k. However, the i7-2600k is better, especially for certain things.

xozxox

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
So, I would change the mobo to the one you recommended, also changing CPU to 2600k.

What about some other changes you would recommend for DVD Burner, graphic cards, PSU, and RAMs?

As for the computer case, which one would you recommend? NZXT Phantom or Coolermaster HAF X?

mgoon11

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I didn't necessarily recommend it since I've never owned it or know much about it. I've only read about it and apparently it's the best not to mention the most expensive. Although it might be overkill. And okay go with the 2600k if you can afford it. As for the computer cases, out of those two, they're both very good. The Cooler Master Haf series are known to be very good. I would definitely put a DVD burner in there separate from the blu ray, only around $20 anyway. If you ever plan to SLI or Crossfire you need more than 650 watts, at least 750 watts, 850+ you would be better off. Finally, for what seems like such as big budget you can definitely do better than a HD 6870. Depending on how much you want to spend or preferences, go for a GTX 560 Ti, a HD 6950/70, or even higher like a GTX 570. Otherwise, everything else is good, RAM is great.

Solution

mgoon11

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
No problem, and nah not really out all these parts DVD burners are the most meaningless and any will do. However, you can choose from here, and you can just pick from whatevers cheapest or your brand preference. There's all the usual like Lite-On, Sony, Asus, etc. All will do the same and get the job done.