[SOLVED] First time building a PC after 15 years.

muratt1989_

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hey, I built my first Pc around 15 years ago, now Im a 30 yo man and have been struggling a bit while building a new machine. I've been researching for some quite time now and I ve made myself a list. I was wondering could you help with these components as they are compatible with each other or not or Ive made the right decision to include them in my list and so forth.

Pc Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Vision

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

Graphics Card: Msi GeForce RTX 2700 Super Gaming x Trio 8GB 256 bit GDDR6

Mother Board: Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus AM4 DDR4

PSu: Be Quiet! Dark Power 11

Ram: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 16GB(2X8)

Much appreciated!

Solution
So if I buy 650W Seasonic Focus GX or PX, would it be enough as SkyNet said only Graphics Card wants that amount of power. Should I consider other components as well like CPU and stuffs? Secondly, do you think the general system Ive created is a bit old? Thanks.
Here is what I came up with. I changed the GPU but it will have 92-95% of the 2070 Super's performance, just at 75% the price.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($298.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x...
Hey, I built my first Pc around 15 years ago, now Im a 30 yo man and have been struggling a bit while building a new machine. I've been researching for some quite time now and I ve made myself a list. I was wondering could you help with these components as they are compatible with each other or not or Ive made the right decision to include them in my list and so forth.

Pc Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Vision

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

Graphics Card: Msi GeForce RTX 2700 Super Gaming x Trio 8GB 256 bit GDDR6

Mother Board: Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus AM4 DDR4

PSu: Be Quiet! Dark Power 11

Ram: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 16GB(2X8)

Much appreciated!
What is the budget of your build and in what country's currency?

Reactions: muratt1989_

muratt1989_

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
What is the budget of your build and in what country's currency?
I can go up but I think it's not necessary as I wont do overclock and I don't play high-end games. I. e. I started to play Sekiro on my base Ps4 yesterday but aroud 30 fps was horrible. I would like to get 60 fps with good resolution. I play dota 2 and stuffs, nothing super fancy. Turkey, so it's Lira.

It's BN254 1000 watt 80+ platinum semi modular
I wouldn't use that PSU. First of all it is WAY more power than you need. Secondly Be Quiet makes some good products, and what I have seen that is OK. The things going against it are the platform is now at least 5 years old, that isn't bad things there are just newer platforms out there, and price. I would look at a 650W Seasonic Focus GX or PX, or a Corsair RMx or HX. Those are going to be just as good or better on quality, but typically a lot cheaper.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($298.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($549.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1450.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-04 17:43 EDT-0400

That motherboard you chose has horrible VRM's. Get a TUF GAMING or the Aorus Elite instead. They both have good VRM's. A PSU RM instead of RMX would do the job too. You could get a 750Watts too. 650 Is the minimum I recommend for headroom.

Reactions: muratt1989_

muratt1989_

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I wouldn't use that PSU. First of all it is WAY more power than you need. Secondly Be Quiet makes some good products, and what I have seen that is OK. The things going against it are the platform is now at least 5 years old, that isn't bad things there are just newer platforms out there, and price. I would look at a 650W Seasonic Focus GX or PX, or a Corsair RMx or HX. Those are going to be just as good or better on quality, but typically a lot cheaper.
So if I buy 650W Seasonic Focus GX or PX, would it be enough as SkyNet said only Graphics Card wants that amount of power. Should I consider other components as well like CPU and stuffs? Secondly, do you think the general system Ive created is a bit old? Thanks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($298.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($549.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1450.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-04 17:43 EDT-0400

That motherboard you chose has horrible VRM's. Get a TUF GAMING or the Aorus Elite instead. They both have good VRM's. A PSU RM instead of RMX would do the job too.
Don't use the RM instead of the RMx. The RMs are older and use lower quality parts.

Here is what I came up with. I changed the GPU but it will have 92-95% of the 2070 Super's performance, just at 75% the price.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($298.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Dark ATX Mid Tower Case ($181.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1479.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-04 17:48 EDT-0400

A 650W PSU is plenty, but no one had those in stock for the Focus PX. Could use 650W 80+ Gold as well and it will be fine. Basically for any single GPU system, you will rarely need more than 650W.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution
So for that 5700XT. How are the drivers at the moment? Are they still giving issues to the people using the XFX 5700XT? I would not recommend a 5700XT to anyone if people are still having issues with that card and I mean a lot of people are having issues with the 5700XT. Unless all the drivers issues have been fixed I would stick with the 2070 Super.

Right. Good to know :) I prefer the RMX too anyway.
I personally wish that if a company would have a lower quality line but in the same efficiency they would use completely different naming. We know that the TXM is lower quality than the RMx, but I think the internals are better than the RM. Corsair should have changed the name of the RM to like SMx so it won't confuse people. Seasonic changed the names of their stuff to one naming scheme finally. Gone are Prime Ultra, Focus Plus, etc.. and now it is Prime PX or TX, Focus PX, GX, GM, etc...

I personally wish that if a company would have a lower quality line but in the same efficiency they would use completely different naming. We know that the TXM is lower quality than the RMx, but I think the internals are better than the RM. Corsair should have changed the name of the RM to like SMx so it won't confuse people. Seasonic changed the names of their stuff to one naming scheme finally. Gone are Prime Ultra, Focus Plus, etc.. and now it is Prime PX or TX, Focus PX, GX, GM, etc...

Yeah I agree.

I can go up but I think it's not necessary as I wont do overclock and I don't play high-end games. I. e. I started to play Sekiro on my base Ps4 yesterday but aroud 30 fps was horrible. I would like to get 60 fps with good resolution. I play dota 2 and stuffs, nothing super fancy. Turkey, so it's Lira.

For not playing higher spec games, what you are looking to build is well over what you need to spend. Unless you are getting a 4k monitor or a 1440 one with higher refresh rates than 75 or something. You can save $500, 600 and still be more than happy with the result. I would spend less money on the PC and look into getting a nice keyboard/mouse/monitor/speaker/headphone setup unless you already have good parts there.

Ryzen 5 1600 AF CPU $85

1660 Super video card $240

Gigabyte B450 AORUS M motherboard $90

Unless you are planning to run the thing on high settings with the new demanding game this setup will run fine for years. No need for any extra coolers either, the stock 1600 AF is plenty fast for any game out at good settings.

I can play WOW, which is more demanding than DOTA 2, at 60fps steady at 4k resolution running an old R9 290X card which is the speed if an RX 580, at over medium quality settings. Ryzen 7 and an RTX 2070 Super is a bit much for the use. You can buy a good system now and a good system in 4 years for almost the same cost as this single system.

Last edited: