First time building a PC, lots of questions regarding a few builds I have in mind.

Apr 9, 2018
I'm currently running on an outdated system and wanted to upgrade, but realized it'd wasn't worth the money and I'm better off starting anew. With that being said, I've been doing research for about a week or so and came upon this build which I thought might be good:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vnc8dX

This is the 'Modest Gaming Build' currently on the home page of this website. From there I changed a few parts around to the things that I had been looking at. I don't expect this next build I'm linking to be too good, it's my attempt at editing the one above. I've never done that with a PC so be honest with me if any of this makes sense:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XYYP3b

Finally I was also looking at pre-built PC's mostly because of strange prices right now due to mining and because well, I'm afraid I'll make poor decisions when building a PC of my own. The one I came upon that most interested me was this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-6300-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-560-1tb-hard-drive-black/6072200.p?skuId=6072200

and this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

Now, ALL of that being said. I should probably get to budget and purpose. Budget wise, the $650.00 CyberPower PC is pretty much perfect for me, however I also understand if I spend more I can possibly get a better long term experience. I had originally intended to spend about $600 or so dollars, so this PC seemed perfect for me at first. However I have concerns with it being a pre-built. My main concerns are upgradability and just not wanting to get ripped off by buying something with cheap parts that will crap out on me. I'm no stranger to PC's, but I've only taken mine apart about a dozen times. I added RAM once, and updated the graphics card once before that. However like I said, I've never even considered building a new one.

Finally (for real this time), my purpose. I intend on being able to play modern AAA titles on high/ultra settings at 60+ fps. Large games like PUBG, Battlefield 1, GTA V, Fallout 4 etc. as well as games such as Rainbow Six Siege and CS:GO. I have a 60hz 1600x900 monitor, which I believe is capable of 720p but not 1080p, right? I'd hope to play on 1080p, but if not, will any of the builds above allow me to upgrade later on to achieve 1080p? I know I said I'm not new to computers, but I'm certainly lost when it comes to monitors.

I've almost always gamed on a low spec system so I'm sorry for any questions that may seem obvious, I tried to google and learn about what I could before making this post but I also wanted to get right into asking these questions so as not to waste my time making a build that is nonsense.

I made a similar thread on PC part picker. Looking for as much advice as I can get. Sorry for the wall of text but I had a lot of questions. I'm eager to hear back on all of the things I asked about above, and I'm excited to finally get my first good gaming PC.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The 2nd build of your is best.
The first cyberjuck is using a 6 year old processor.
The 2nd cyberjunk is better but be aware they use the absolute cheapest parts they can get to build them.

Apr 9, 2018

Hey thanks for the response. I made a post on PC part picker and someone helped me come to this build, which is closer to my range of $600-$800. What do you think of it? I'd like to know if I could remove the SSD, as I've never played with one before so I wouldn't 'miss' it by not including it in the build. I just want to know if its a necessity? I'm just trying to bring the total cost down some to a more reasonable level. Would this setup be capable of playing modern AAA games (Battlefield 1, GTA V etc.) on high/ultra at a stable 60+fps? What about medium settings? Again, I'm on a 60hz monitor, so it doesn't have to be any fancier than that (although I'd like to leave room to upgrade in the future).

Sorry for the barrage of questions lol I just have a lot to try and figure out. I appreciate any help!

900p is slightly better than 720p and slightly worse than 1080p.
A 1060 should be able to easily max 900p graphics.
AAA should run pretty well on the 2nd PCP build. (the first is just a bit less good use of your money)
Ultra on true AAA games is a different story, and the 1060 may not be able to keep up, and games like GTAV are kinda coded somewhat poorly.

If you're low on money, go used. Right now graphics card prices are dropping to the pre-mining craze price (there's a RX 470 that was sold for $150). You can also find some 4th generation i7s with motherboards for around $200-250. That would be a much greater value than a new APU with something akin to a RX 550.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from redro_guy : "First build, looking for opinions."

/r/hardwareswap

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($66.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card ($514.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1067.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-10 10:32 EDT-0400

Bit extra but completely worth it. GTX1070 combo will give you around 30% increase in overall performance compared to GTX1060 combo which is a huge jump. Did not compromise on quality to improve performance. All are high quality components.