Question First time building a pc!Need help please

Mar 26, 2020
Hello there.So i am new to this and i am a little bit confused about something.So i am about to build my first ever pc and i 'm planning to purchase the Corsair RM750x because i want a decent psu.The thing is that when i watched a review video about this psu the existance of two cpu connectors and cables confused me a lot because it was the first time seeing something like that.By the time i saw this i searched the internet for answers and i found out it has something to do with more voltage on the cpu in cases of overclocking etc.Still didnt understand it at all but the thing is in my case with the Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming mobo that i have purchased i cant understand if i have to connect both cables on the psu and if yes,which one do i connect to the 8pin connector on the mobo(this mobo comes with only an 8pin cpu connector on it).All in all i am confused with the connections on this psu.I need someone to explain me the connections for cpu and gpu too.Thanks

RedMugs

Commendable
Apr 8, 2017
You're going to want to attach the 8pin cable to the motherboard. I believe it should be split 4+4, as in there are two four pin connectors that are separated at the end of the cable. This is because some motherboards/CPUs only require 4 pin as they draw less power. In your case, since the motherboard has 8 pins, plug both connectors in. They should be the same wire, just split at the end. Plug both in.

Mar 26, 2020
So to make it clear,in the psu which has 4+4 connectors on it i have to plug in both cables in every single connector and then put them together?So from what i am seeing is that these two cpu cables have a 4 pin end each and in mycase i will connect them together and plug them in the mobo as one? as an 8pin?Am i right?

RedMugs

Commendable
Apr 8, 2017
It would appear your power supply does come with two CPU cables. However, they should both have 8 pin ends (though they should be able to be split apart). You only need one of them unless your motherboard has more than an 8 pin connector, which it does not. You can see this 8pin connector in the top left of your motherboard.

The CPU cables probably say 'CPU' on the end that you plug them into your motherboard.

The only other thing I can think of that you may be looking at is the molex connectors. How are the pins aligned on the cable you are looking at, 4 in a row or 4 in a 2x2 grid?

Mar 26, 2020
The two cpu cables that comes with the psu have an 8 pin connector each, to plug into the psu and a 4 pin end(2x2 grid) each, to plug into the motherboard.So in my case i think i have to plug them both in the psu and motherboard too.
Note:I dont have the psu i am about to purchase it.
Here is a look from the rear side of the psu

Edit:So i am kinda confused and i have messed up a little..So i just saw from a video that the cpu cables that comes with the psu have 8 pins in both sides with the difference that the ones that connect to the mobo can be spiltted.
So lets say i am building the pc right now for example and i have to connect the psu's cables with the hardware.As i told you my motherboard has only an 8 pin connector.So in this case do i connect only one of the cpu cables to the psu and motherboard?

Last edited: