Question First time building computer NEED HELP!

Oct 6, 2022
Hello Guys

Im new to building computres, this is actually my first build ever.

I have put together the following components however I have yet to turn the system on.

Motherboard: Asus H81M Plus
CPU: intel I7 4770
CPU cooler: (intel stock cooler) E97378-001
RAM: 4GB+4GB (8GB) DDR 3
Storage: 2 TB Toshiba DT01ACA200
PSU: 1100W DELL G821T (removed from working "Alienware Area51 ALX")

Heres my problem; The PSU has a 24 pin and 8 pin connector, whereas the Motherboard has a 24 pin and 4 pin CPU.
The 8 pin cable DOES NOT split.
Can I still connect the 8 pin connector to the 4 pin (leaving the 4 pin hanging)?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Why even bother with such a high wattage PSU? If you don't have the right connectors for your components, it's highly likely that you don't have the right PSU for your build. In fact, I'd advise on not using the 8pin EPS connector with the trailing end hanging off the EPS connector on the board, it's possible you might short the board.

Reactions: Baybars
Oct 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Why even bother with such a high wattage PSU? If you don't have the right connectors for your components, it's highly likely that you don't have the right PSU for your build. In fact, I'd advise on not using the 8pin EPS connector with the trailing end hanging off the EPS connector on the board, it's possible you might short the board.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I thought Id make use of a psu already in possesion.
But if its risky then I would not go that route.

I will take your advice and get a psu with a 4+4 pin connector.

Lutfij

Titan
if you can depin the 8pin EPS and source a 4+4pin EPS plug/connector(I make my own PSU harnesses and cable sleeving) then you're good to go but it just seems impractical to have a 1.1KW PSU on a platform that won't be able to handle an RTX3080 or higher.

If you don't have a discrete GPU for the build listed above and don't intend to get one, you can get away with a 450W Corsair CX unit(grey label unit). If you intend to drop in a discrete GPU, please mention the make and model of said discrete GPU.

Reactions: Tac 25

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would just check if the board has clearance issues if you plug the 8-pin in. As long as it doesn't touch anything, it should be fine. The keying on the connector won't let you plug it in incorrectly. Just don't force anything.

Pretty sure I have 8+4 board, with a second 8-pin only half connected.