First time building gaming computer, please help

dragon12345

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hello, I'm making my first gaming build but I'm really new to this so I'm not sure if this is what I should get. I want to be able to play games like BF3 on max settings and after looking around this is what I've come up with. My budget is £600.

CPU: Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, ATX, Intel H77 Express, Quad GPU AMD CrossfireX Support, PCI Express 3.0, USB 3.0 Boost)
GPU: XFX HD 6870 DD cooling 1Gb AMD VGA Card Eyefinity Ready
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
Case: Zalman z11 case
HSF: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus CPU Cooler
Optical: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare
PSU: Cooler Master RS650-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series 650W 80 Plus Power Supply Unit
HDD: Samsung SSD 830 2.5inch SATA III 6GBps 128GB Desktop

Is everything compatible? Thanks.

wondermonkeys09

Honorable
May 28, 2012
In place of your 6870, I would recommend a 6950 on newegg. It is 50 bucks off, and it comes with a coupon that gives you bf3 AND dirt 3 for free. Also, do you plan on overclocking? (I would recommend it because now a days it is very simple with all of the software to streamline the process, at least if you do not increase voltage.) It is something to consider when buying parts.

In general, it looks good, and is compatible.
Love the samsung SSD. Intel is good too.
Here are my thoughts:

1) The cooler is not much better than stock. Large tower type coolers with slow turning 120mm fans are more effective.Look at the cm hyper212 for example.

2) If you can find a ivy bridge 3570K for not much more, I would go with the more modern cpu chip. It is 5% more effective on a clock for clock basis.

3) I would buy a low profile ram kit. Tall heat spreaders are not needed with 1.5v ram, and are mostly marketing. They can also interfere with some cpu coolers.

4) You will get fair value for your money with graphics cards at any price point. If you can buy a 28nm based 7xxx series card of near equivalent performance, it will run cooler and take less power.

5) Cooler Master is not on my short list of quality PSU's. I would look first at Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, PC P&C, or XFX.

6) Cases are a personal thing. The Zalman looks OK to me. Take the time now to download and read, cover to cover, the case manual. Many things will be learned. Ditto for the motherboard manual.

----------good luck--------------

Tev0

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Just a tip, if you're on a short budget you should get AMD CPUs.
You can probably find an AMD CPU that performs just as good for a bit less money. If you decide to go with AMD that's a bit cheaper then you will also be able to get a better graphics card, and that's more important in gaming.

You should be fine with just a mATX board since i don't think you will be doing SLI/Crossfire, just be careful of how many SATA 6gb/s slots it got (AMD mobos got alot of them) and the amount of RAM it can support and how many RAM slots there is

Also IN MY OPINION the case looks like crap :D It got alot of fans (1 on each side, 1 at the front, 1 at the back and 1 at the top). Those fans on the sides are just wasted money. I would replace that with something like Corsair Carbide 200R or Fractal Design core 3000, but then again it's a matter of taste.