First time building my own pc, need a parts review please!

Nov 24, 2018
Here is my current build, it's my first time so I wanted to make sure it looks alright all together.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rCZ2fH

Approximate Purchase Date:
Soon, within a few days.

Budget Range:
(around $1500) Shipping included

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
(gaming, video recording and editing, streaming, surfing the internet)

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Parts to Upgrade:
Doing a fresh build, most of my parts are 8+ years old.

Do you need to buy OS:
No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Amazon, New Egg, Canada Computers, Memory Express, etc

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

Parts Preferences:
Ryzen / Asus / Whatever is good, i've not looked at computer parts in a while. I want a Ryzen because they are more affordable.

Overclocking:
Maybe? Haven't done it before. I don't want to take risks but if it's really easy and safe, yes.

SLI or Crossfire:
No

Your Monitor Resolution:
1920x1080

Additional Comments:
I posted on here a few days ago asking for suggestions on a "prebuilt" PC and was given some advice on which system, but also pointed in the direction of buying the parts individually to come away with a better finished product. I took interest in this and did some research and decided to try it. The build above is mostly the suggested build I got on here but a few changes, mainly for cheaper parts. (smaller SSD and HDD)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
I bought my last PC around 8 years ago and did one minor upgrade about midway which was GPU and RAM. I was getting by for a while playing newer games on console but am tired of my PC not being able to have a chance at newer stuff. (For example Doom on lowest settings was getting 30-40 fps.) I want to run games well, not just barely.

Thanks for your time!

Sep 13, 2018
Hey,

Parts list looks good, though you can change a few things to make it more profitable and perhaps invest that money on to something else in your rig.

Why'd you opt for 3200 Mhz ram? Anything above 2933 for this build will be a waste. You can opt to go for 3000 Mhz sticks, Ryzen builds tend to be pretty unstable trying to achieve 3200 Mhz (People have done it of course.)

I personally would go for a cheaper case not sure why you'd be spending so much on such a case running a budget with gaming being a top priority. What I'd recommend is the Phanteks P400, or the Phanteks P400S .

Overall it looks good. AM4 platform will keep its motherboards compatible for new gen CPU's until 2020 so even if you decide to go for Zen 2, your mobo will support it with a BIOS update.

EDIT: Going for lower Ram and Case I'd probably consider the X version of this CPU. With the remaining money, I'd consider going for atleast a Gold certified PSU. I'm running a Corsair RM1000 series and completely satisfied with it (Overkill though).

Bringing you back into budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($288.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($133.69 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB CERBERUS Video Card ($688.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1509.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-18 02:30 EST-0500

No need to purchase an aftermarket cooler. The stock heat-sink is of good quality.
Purchase the largest SSD you can now as a boot drive and add the HDD later. You'll be glad you did.
Upgraded you to a RTX 2070 for the same price.
Went with a better quality power supply.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($171.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($659.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Blackout TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($188.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ PC-Canada)
Total: $1667.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-18 09:10 EST-0500