First time building pc

Sonic Boom

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I just bought all the parts I need to build my first pc. Now I know I'm a little late to this (building a pc and buying the new hardware), there are i'7's and i5's that are leading the way and I decided to buy the discontinued lga 775 motherboard and cpu. Heres a list of what I have so far.

Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP
Motherboard: Asus Extreme Rampage X48 DDR3
Cpu: Intel core 2 quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz (EO) Stepping 1333 fsb
Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1600 MHZ PDC34G1600ELK
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB
Cpu Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9500 A
Power Supply: Corsair TX 750 Watt
Cd/dvd Drive: Lite on DVD Drive
Video Card: Asus Dark knight 4870 1gb

Now I know I could've bought something better (like the new i7 with x58 motherboard) and I'm an idiot not for buying the new stuff, but I've been stuck with a crappy dell xps 410 with a old core 2 duo and a 32 bit vista.

There are some things that are running through my head and I was hoping someone could answer this.
1. I know that the extreme rampage is really picky when it comes to memory, as you can see from the memory I chose, I was wondering if that memory, being at 1600 mhz already, is compatible with a cpu with only 1333 fsb. (Im planning to overclock it,so that way it can remain stable but I'm wondering if the computer will boot into the bios safely without having any problems)

2. I know there arent any drivers in the asus website for windows 7 but the generic drivers can be found on a disc or website correct?

3. For overclocking, Should I download the latest drivers for the motherboard first? or should I do that after I overclock.

4. I want to be able to overclock to 3.5 ghz, I know I have to increase the fsb from 333 to like 402, but do I have to change everything else manually or leave it on auto?

5. What will I expect after everything is put in?

There are other questions but I can't think of it atm. I know I'm a noob, I admit it but I've always wanted to build a pc with those components and I haven't gotten the chance to buy it when they first came out. Hopefully someone can answer my questions and help me in the later future. Thank you!

Solution
well, good luck to you.
read the manual to learn how to assemble the parts into your case.

"Oh and I don't know if this reply should go towards this section but is it bad that I bought a lga 775 socket motherboard and 775 cpu when there is the new i7's and i5's that are dominating? I mean, hopefully there isnt a big difference in terms of gaming... "

well, I don't want to break your heart, but the i5 750 dominates the 775 cpus so hard..well since you got the quad q9550 which is a better model, the difference isn't that big compare to i5 750. although i5 750 will be better.

take a look here:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=16

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
you can't return the lga 775 stuff?

1. Yes it is compatible, I think there's a option for memory ratio for the rampage mobo, so the overall system will be more stable due to a high clocked cpu since the memory can't keep up.

2. i'm not so sure about what you mean by disc, official ones?
search around google, i'm sure there are drivers, but i don't trust them much from third parties.

3. well download the latest drivers, only if you have a problem (personal opinion), because if you don't know how to flash bios, that's another problem, if you do know how, then download the latest before overclocking because they might of fixed something.

4. you need to increase the voltage for ram and cpu. read a guide on overclocking, theres a sticky on the overclocking section i believe.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

5. do you mean the hardware parts are put in? or the bios settings?
you'll expect a working system..

Sonic Boom

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hey overshocks, thanks for replying

I dont think I can return most of the stuff that I bought. :(

But to reply back on your response, Ive searched around the Asus website and I havent found any windows 7 drivers for this particular motherboard. So I was just asking to see if there are any other websites or particularly a disk that comes with windows 7 that will give me the correct drivers

And The last question, I was just asking that cause from what I've heard, A lot of people have problems when they build their pc's and this is why I've always sticked to buying pre made pc's. But the downside of that is I can't really experience good framerates from middle ranged pc's from Dell, Hp, etc.. So By building this pc, I hope that nothing will go wrong and I am getting some help from another person, wish me the best of luck!
Oh and I don't know if this reply should go towards this section but is it bad that I bought a lga 775 socket motherboard and 775 cpu when there is the new i7's and i5's that are dominating? I mean, hopefully there isnt a big difference in terms of gaming...

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
well, good luck to you.
read the manual to learn how to assemble the parts into your case.

"Oh and I don't know if this reply should go towards this section but is it bad that I bought a lga 775 socket motherboard and 775 cpu when there is the new i7's and i5's that are dominating? I mean, hopefully there isnt a big difference in terms of gaming... "

well, I don't want to break your heart, but the i5 750 dominates the 775 cpus so hard..well since you got the quad q9550 which is a better model, the difference isn't that big compare to i5 750. although i5 750 will be better.

take a look here:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=16

Solution