Question first time building PC

Nknpon

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
Hi guys, i already started a thread for my GPU OC but i still got questions on other things, since its the first time building a PC of my own.
For now i only used my computer to play games and i am pretty much a newbie to everything else. Everything i know is limited to what I've read in recent weeks.
So i hope u dont mind if i ask some really stupid questions.

Thats my setup: https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-1263609 and here some Benchmarkresults https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19084620

CPU and GPU are just compromise solutions and they will be replaced by an i9 and 2080ti. Just had no money left this month and my old pc was about to die, thats why the CPU and GPU are that weak compared to the other stuff. I selected the components based on their ratings and made sure that everything is compatible with each other and thats it.
I did not pay attention to synergies or that the components are particularly well matched. So maybe you guys could give me your opinion on the build.

Here my questions:

1. I already turned on X.M.L and RAM is running on 3200 now. Is there a way to push it more with this CPU? And how?

2. I unlocked the CPU, and now its permanent runnig on 3,9ghz boostmode on all 6 cores - I really dont get it, why u cant overclock a non K prozessor. In theory shoulndt be every cpu able to be overclocked?

3. I was a little bit confused about the fans slots on my mainboard. Now i figured out, that every slot is a hybrid slot. Does that mean i can put the pump or fan on whatever slot and it will work? Because the i100h installation guide says to put the pump on CPU_FAN but the operation manual of my mainboard says CPU_OPT is the Waterpumpheader. I put it on CPU_FAN and its working fine, but im still a bit worried about it.

4. Thats probably a stupid question but i really dont know and want to make sure. :D The cables of the power supply has several connections. For example has a SATA cable 3 SATA plugs hanging on it. Can i use several or only one?

5. How much fans can i connect to my mainboard? ATM i got 2 fans on my power supply but it seems they only run, if the power supply is getting to hot. And it rly dont get hot so they are always off. I want to buy on of these splitter adapters where u can put several fans on one slot. Is there a limit of voltage or something? I about to connect 2x 140mm 1600rpm bequiet, 1x 120 1450rpm bequiet and 2x fractal 120mm fans i dont know anything about(they came with my case). Will this work?

I probably think and worry way too much about all this stuff but i just want to make sure i did nothing wrong on my first build. As you have already noticed, im not an engineering genius.
Sorry for my bad english, not a nativ^^

Last edited:
try separating these questions to different posts a couple hours in between, maybe then people will actually read them haha
just kidding, im here to help
as for the first question
  1. it is possible to push the ram further, but not recommended. ram overclocking is tedious and results in very minimal boosts of performance. your ram is 3200 which is the fastest I would go. 3666 will not give you any measurable boosts.
  2. how did you.. unlock.. a non k processor? and yeah all processors should be able to overclock
but intel doesn't want you to overclock the non k ones. there isn't actually a reason.
also, you didnt overclock the cpu, you didnt touch the voltages and didnt push it beyond specs
you just set it to a specific core clock between its base and boost.
3. yeah all headers are "hybrid" ones and should work for both pumps and fans alike
tho I'd put the pump header into the main cpu one or an actual pump header
not that it matters.
  1. you can use several of those connectors in a chain. they should all work perfectly fine together.
  2. what do you mean 2 fans on the power supply? the fan that is inside the power supply should be plenty for it.
there is no "limit" to how much a header can give or take, but you shouldn't push it. if you use a splitter, low power fans only or very efficient noctua/be quiet fans.
And only use a splitter for 2 fans, those 3 or 4 way splitters will and have fried my headers.

Reactions: Nknpon

Nknpon

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
Thanks for giving me a lot of information and im sorry for my long post :D

i only thought about overclocking the RAM because there were 2 different versions of the 3200 Trident Z i got.
I got the good one on a special offer for almost the same price. I read that they are actually made for overclocking becaus they got better timings. Dont know if this is true. I dont know rly much about overclocking RAM but i thought i could push it easily to 3600mhz even its only a small boost.
At the same time i enjoy configuring my system and getting the maximum out of it. I just would like to know more about it.

Like u said i didnt overlock my cpu but before i bought it, i informed myself if i can overclock it. I found out this does not work but with the right motherboard, you could run the cpu permanently in turboboost. I cant tell u exacty what i changed in my BIOs because im at work and cant remembert the settings. But Z-CPU shows me its permanent on 3,9ghz and dont get below.

I got the be quiet dark pro 11 750w with fan connectors and i put 2 fans on it. But they are not running and i cant controll them - they only run for few second on systemstart. I ll change them to the fanslots on my motherboard now, since i know i can connect anything to it. I would only need 1 splitter.

i really appreciate these answers, thx dude :)

Thanks for giving me a lot of information and im sorry for my long post :D

i only thought about overclocking the RAM because there were 2 different versions of the 3200 Trident Z i got.
I got the good one on a special offer for almost the same price. I read that they are actually made for overclocking becaus they got better timings. Dont know if this is true. I dont know rly much about overclocking RAM but i thought i could push it easily to 3600mhz even its only a small boost.
At the same time i enjoy configuring my system and getting the maximum out of it. I just would like to know more about it.

Like u said i didnt overlock my cpu but before i bought it, i informed myself if i can overclock it. I found out this does not work but with the right motherboard, you could run the cpu permanently in turboboost. I cant tell u exacty what i changed in my BIOs because im at work and cant remembert the settings. But Z-CPU shows me its permanent on 3,9ghz and dont get below.

I got the be quiet dark pro 11 750w with fan connectors and i put 2 fans on it. But they are not running and i cant controll them - they only run for few second on systemstart. I ll change them to the fanslots on my motherboard now, since i know i can connect anything to it. I would only need 1 splitter.

i really appreciate these answers, thx dude :)
no problem
but I suggest removing all cpu settings you changed

as the boost clock is a lil higher and the pc will boost to it if it needs to
and will downclock to conserve power and the longevity of the chip.

as for ram overclocking, if you wanna tinker with your system, go at it
just telling ya, from personal experience, IF youre able to overclock it, which usually just results in overvolting for the same clocks and timing or just 1 level above, it wont change performance at all

Nknpon

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
But the higher boost would only be singlecore @4,1ghz right? U think there is no improvement by running it on 6x3,9ghz? I havent seen the cpu above 40 degrees, its still the same voltage running threw the chip and it still affects the longevity of the chip? To be honest i rly dont care about power consumption :D.

But i rly dont know sht, so if u telling me there is no point and what ive read was wrong, i´ll change it back to default.

Thanks

EDIT: for the CPU i enabled "Enhanced Muticore Performance" and "CPU Flex Ratio Override" - its on 29 by default. Thats all i changed

Last edited: