[SOLVED] First Time Building - What Went Wrong ?

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Installed my first ever PC within a few hours. It's now running great..

The only thing that went wrong was the standoff screws. I messed up the I\O shield and had to take the mobo out. All the screws came out except the bottom three, so I had to pull it. All three bottom standoffs were stuck to the mobo. So i'm guessing I didn't tighten them enough with the provided tool. Used some pliers on the the underside to keep the standoff still - then with my other hand gently screw it counter clockwise

Last edited:
Solution
I've had this happen before.
It might not be exactly the same, but...

This happens when you strip the standoffs, and secure the motherboard with the screws.
With the standoffs stripped, when you try to undo the screws, the standoffs end up turning with the screws, and you don't get anywhere.
Then, you have to find a way to stop the standoff from turning while you try to undo the screw.
Oh i thought it wasnt working.
Similar thing happened to me when i was helping my friend swap cases,but we fixed it by pushing the standoffs out somehow.
Just make sure that there are no screws behind the motherboard,they can short-circuit the motherboard since the screws are made out of metal.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

This happens when you strip the standoffs, and secure the motherboard with the screws.
With the standoffs stripped, when you try to undo the screws, the standoffs end up turning with the screws, and you don't get anywhere.
Then, you have to find a way to stop the standoff from turning while you try to undo the screw.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017

Ah OK.
Hopefully no permanent damage then. I think I also didn't tighten the bottom three standoffs enough before installing the mobo. I then tightened them all very tightly, installed the mobo. Then tested one of the screws for good measure and it came out fine.