[SOLVED] First time buyer iMac - need advice

OfficeJerk

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi!

I've never owned or really used a mac before, but recently i have noticed a lot of the older models are coming up online at damn good prices for the screen size they are and the specs dont seem horrible at all so i am thinking of picking one up.

My question is, I don't know which one would be best value for money. I am looking at 2010's - 2013's macs both 21 and 27 inch but am torn between multiple. My primary use is light browsing and watching videos, but i'd like the best bang for buck if that makes sense. Oh and i'd also like to be able to use one as an external display to connect my laptop or ps4 occasionally but have heard only some of these models support this under target display and the correct adapter?

Currently i am eyeing a 21.5 inch 2010 imac online. What do you guys think? Any help/advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Solution
Yes,o nly some models support it (see link). Even then only via DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection. So the PS4 and most Windows laptops are a no go. Even then it is only officially supported for Macs. I couldn't say for certain that it works for anything else.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-an-imac-as-a-display-mh30822/mac

Only the late 2012 and 2013 models support macOS Catalina. The 2013 has a newer CPU, GPU and updated to 802.11 ac. I'd say the 2013 is the best buy. But the earliest to consider would be the late 2012. Due to OS support.

Whatever you get. Upgrade the HDD to an SSD. It makes a big difference in macOS performance.
Yes,o nly some models support it (see link). Even then only via DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection. So the PS4 and most Windows laptops are a no go. Even then it is only officially supported for Macs. I couldn't say for certain that it works for anything else.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-an-imac-as-a-display-mh30822/mac

Only the late 2012 and 2013 models support macOS Catalina. The 2013 has a newer CPU, GPU and updated to 802.11 ac. I'd say the 2013 is the best buy. But the earliest to consider would be the late 2012. Due to OS support.

Whatever you get. Upgrade the HDD to an SSD. It makes a big difference in macOS performance.

Solution

OfficeJerk

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Thanks for your reply. I ended up going with a Mid 2010 21 inch iMac. I must say, very impressed with the performance being a 10 year old computer! It has 3.2ghz cpu and an ssd preinstalled which make it run quite well for its age. I just have some questions

As a new Mac user, I am still getting used to a lot of the commands and the OS in general, but one, how safe is using the machine right away as I do not know how to reformat a Mac. I literally turned it on and started using it and I cannot appear to find any personal files, while the seller did note that they 'factory reset' it.

Secondly, as i only have 4gb 1333 mhz ram installed, i have another 4gb stick lying around the house however the mhz is 1600 - will i have any problems installing this one into the system?

Ill probably have a load more questions in the next few days while I learn how to use this thing properly. Any help is appreciated.

I'm also running macOS High Sierra V 10.13.6 if that matters?

Last edited:

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
As a new Mac user, I am still getting used to a lot of the commands and the OS in general, but one, how safe is using the machine right away as I do not know how to reformat a Mac. I literally turned it on and started using it and I cannot appear to find any personal files, while the seller did note that they 'factory reset' it.
I would reformat it to be safe.

to do this, boot to Internet Recovery (hold down command+option+r when booting) and erase the drive from there (make sure you have a backup of your files) and then reinstall macOS from the menu. that'll give you a clean install.

TRENDING THREADS