Question First time CPU/Motherboard upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lasterrett

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
I'm upgrading from an i7-7700k to a AMD R9 3900x tomorrow and I just need some people who have been there done that to help me out. I have Gigabyte 570x wifi motherboard coming in with the chip as well. I'm not concerned about putting it all together per say because youtube can pretty much walk you through anything. I'm nervous about the boot up. I have 2 samsung evo SSD's, Samsung M.2 drive and one HDD. My OS is on one of the SSD's but I have a 4th gen Nvme coming in tomorrow and I was thinking I should just put the OS only on that drive to eliminate issues during boot up but I'm not sure. I see a lot of people saying a fresh install is best but I don't want to lose any of my games and things on my other SSD's. Also is there anything in the bios that I should mess with? I have 2 16gb Ram sticks at 3200 hz. I'm learning the PC ways still so I'm trying not to sound ignorant. Any prep before on my intel setup that I need to do? I've already got my product key and my Microsoft account all good to go on my end. Anything I need to delete in my files or backup? I'm just trying to cover as many tracks as posiple because if I do run into a problem I have no experience in troubleshooting as I've never been in this position before. The more knowledge I can get on the issues the better I'll feel about taking on this task. I appreciate any help.