First Time Gaming Pc Build

Anirudh_2

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Im looking to get 150+ FPS on all fps shooters out now especially BF4 (and other such titles in the future) , CSGO etc etc . I play on low settings with a few on ultra/high . Is this setup worth the money? Should i purchase another item instead of one i have in this build? Why? How long will it last ? Already have my peripherals . My monitor is a BenQ XL2430T.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H 64GB DDR4
CPU :Intel Core i5 6th Gen 6500 3.2 GHz Processor
Memory Ram :Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz C16 Memory - Red
Hard Disk :Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA Internal Desktop Hard Drive
Graphics Card :Asus Geforce GTX960 4GB DDR5 Nvdia PCI E Graphic Card
CD/DVD Drive : LG 24x Sata Internal DVD Writer
Power Supply : Corsair VS Series VS650 650W

Total = 60,000 INR (Willing to spend 10k more)

www.theitdepot.com

If i have said something dumb , pls dont be an arse and rather try to correct me . Thanks in advance!

Solution

PeppermintFangs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015
If you're shooting for 150+ FPS in BF4, unfortunately you won't be getting it with a GTX 960 (on high settings, that is). The lower your settings are, the more likely you are to be able to sustain something that high. But let's be honest, 60FPS isn't exactly slumming it, even with a 144hz monitor.

As for the rest of your build, going with Skylake is a good choice - at the very least for extended usability (and a clear upgrade path). And with an M.2 connector on your motherboard, you can easily upgrade to a lightning fast SSD.

I don't have any qualms with the system, other than the lack of an SSD - which you can ask me about if you'd like to consider.

That being said, there is the issue of a case. I don't see one listed here - have you forgotten it, or have you already purchased one? If the prior is the case, I can recommend several great cases to work with your build (is silence important, and do you want a smaller form factor case since your motherboard is a micro-atx form factor board?).

Anirudh_2

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Like i said I plan on playing all low with some settings like Mesh quality on ultra . I also play on a stretched resolution if that makes any difference. Will i get atleast 100 FPS+ with this setup ? . As for Case im looking at the NZXT phantom since it looks cool but im open to suggestions.

PeppermintFangs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015
Are you planning on doing anything other than gaming? If so, what? And if not, I'd recommend straying away from Intel's "K" processors, as they are very expensive if you don't plan on overclocking, not to mention going with a less powerful CPU overall.

Your first CPU will do fine in most, if not all games, with an FPS decrease (versus the 6600k) no larger than 5FPS in extreme cases. Considering you'd save over $50 with little to no performance impacts, I'd do it - that is if you only plan to game, otherwise there will be performance decreases in CPU focused tasks like video editing.

I also noticed you're now going with a WD black drive. Are you aware that these are typically used for NAS storage, rather than casual PC use? This means you are going to pay a premium for features that you likely won't use without a NAS. I'd recommend instead the WD Blue 1TB HDD.

EDIT: I noticed you removed the link you provided me with - does this mean your PC parts are irrevocably the ones you provided in your first post? If so, disregard the above message, as it only has to do with the parts in the link you removed.

PeppermintFangs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015

What resolution are you effectively running at, then? To clarify, in the settings of any given game, what resolution have you chosen?

The motherboard you posted above (Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H) is a Micro-ATX motherboard. While this will obviously fit inside of an ATX case, I don't see why you would purchase a smaller form factor motherboard with less features unless you

A. Plan on downsizing your PC case to a M-ATX case in the future; if that was the case, why not downsize on the front end?
OR
B. Like the aesthetics more than an equivalent ATX motherboard, and don't care about the missing features.

If neither of these is true, I can recommend an equivalent ATX motherboard. If B. is true, then I think you should consider going with an M-ATX case.

Anirudh_2

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

B , Im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to PCs (First build) but i like the way the phantom looks , but like i said im open to suggestions..

PeppermintFangs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015

If you aren't especially seeking out a smaller form factor case, then the Phantom is a great pick. I had an M-ATX case suggestion in mind, but it isn't available on the site you suggested. However, there is another outstanding Micro ATX case that you can take a look at - though based on the aesthetics of the Phantom, it may look a little dull to you (I personally love the style).

That case is the Corsair Air 240 in either White or Black.

23160_500_5.jpg

23161_500_5.jpg

This offers everything the NZXT Phantom does with the addition of a small form factor with the dimensions of only 397mm x 260mm x 320mm (I believe that is Height x Width x Depth).

As I said, the Phantom is still a great choice; but if you think saving space is something you're interested in, the Air 240 wins without a doubt.

Anirudh_2

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

ah ok i'll have a look at it . I also dunno which OS to be getting . Will the 960 4gb be sufficient to play all current games? Can i go ahead with the build?

PeppermintFangs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015
At high settings, maybe not. However, it is a very powerful card for the price, and if you're willing to sacrifice some high settings you can get playable frame rates in most Triple-A games. I've recommended the 960 to several friends in this price bracket, all of whom are incredibly happy with their purchase.

Are their any games in particular you want to run?

As for your PC, I'd say you can go ahead and purchase your parts. The only thing I want to mention at this point is the drawbacks of only purchasing one ram stick, versus two for dual channel. This doesn't mean you have to get more ram, you can still purchase 8GB in the form of two 4GB sticks. With only one stick, you are getting less out of your ram.

This post does a good job of explaining it...

In other words, dual channel memory (two sticks) gives you a better 8GB than a single channel (one stick). I couldn't find your exact ram in red with two 4GB sticks, but I did find one in black.

The G.Skill Ripjaws set is a nice glossy red, if you want to keep the color.

Anirudh_2

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

I only play fps games (Occasionally others like GTA 5 ) . I always play on low as i look for high fps always (1 or 2 settings like Mesh quality on Ultra ) . But mainly im going to be playing Bf4 (BF1 in the future) and CSGO . My 40 fps pc killing me atm..

PeppermintFangs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015

That shouldn't be a problem at all. Games like CS:GO will run like butter, GTA 5 and BF4 will be a little bit harder to run but you'll still pull through with flying colors, especially if you plan on turning settings down. Based on the videos below, you shouldn't have a problem.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-M5ur9fMs"][/video]

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qduOxAQeb1c"][/video]

Solution

Anirudh_2

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Wouldnt they cost more tho?

Anirudh_2

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

From the site ive provided , would you mind choosing a Ram kit as i dont know what to pick. I read that the Motherboard supports only 2133 MHz so im a bit confused.

Anirudh_2

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Thanks for all your help!

PeppermintFangs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015

No problem :)

Enjoy your computer!