First time gaming PC

JzReign

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
Hi, this is my first time buying a gaming pc. I'm looking to preferably run at 1080p Ultra 60fps settings, will the following components achieve this? Also any tips on getting started would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Cpu: Intel i7-6700k
Gpu: Amd Radeon R9 Fury
Memory: 8gb DDR4 2800
Case: NZXT s340 black/red
Psu: 800w 80+ no name brand
Motherboard:MSI Z170A gaming pro carbon

Is it worth it to buy a 128gb ssd and find a old hard drive laying around or purchase a new hd and forget about the ssd?

Solution
Okay, number 1 thing to change is that power supply as you never trust no name brands, as they are cheap for a reason and that is they are system killers. Have a look for the EVGA B2 750W PSU, as it is a solid unit which is normally priced very reasonably (<$60). For gaming, I would suggest going with the i5 6600k as it performs just as well in games and games don't need the additional 4 threads the i7 can offer and even if they would, once the i5 is overclocked, the advantage the i7 has is gone anyway.

That PC will happily play 1080p, in fact 1440p will be no problem either.

As for the HDD+SSD, I would suggest for your build to get a SSD and HDD, both of them new as it would be a shame to use old parts and certainly to not have a...

Nuckles_56

Admirable
Okay, number 1 thing to change is that power supply as you never trust no name brands, as they are cheap for a reason and that is they are system killers. Have a look for the EVGA B2 750W PSU, as it is a solid unit which is normally priced very reasonably (<$60). For gaming, I would suggest going with the i5 6600k as it performs just as well in games and games don't need the additional 4 threads the i7 can offer and even if they would, once the i5 is overclocked, the advantage the i7 has is gone anyway.

That PC will happily play 1080p, in fact 1440p will be no problem either.

As for the HDD+SSD, I would suggest for your build to get a SSD and HDD, both of them new as it would be a shame to use old parts and certainly to not have a SSD in the build would be a tragedy considering how much you are spending on the build

Solution

JzReign

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

Thanks for the response! Ok so what exactly would I be losing from the i7 to the i5, is there a noticeable performance downgrade? And does overclocking shorten the lifespan of the processor? Yea it is probably worth getting a more trustworthy power supply than risking frying the computer. And ok I'll probably pick up both the hdd and the ssd

Nuckles_56

Admirable
You lose half the available threads, but that isn't important unless you are doing compute heavy tasks or are doing things like video editing or streaming, then you are certainly better off with the i7. Overclocking can shorten the lifespan, but then is generally because you have pushed to a voltage which is too high and have had inadequate cooling for the voltage. It most certainly is, as I wouldn't trust the PSU you had. That would be a plan, if you can fit it in to your budget, I'd suggest going with a 250GB SSD if you can, so you have more room for games etc