First time LAN party(ish)

cphillips

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
So I've got a friend visiting for a week and it turned into a small thing where a couple of friends might visit and bring their desktops. This isn't a LAN party per se, and there will be like 4 or 5 people at the most. I've never hosted anything like this before so I wanted to ask a few questions.
Power and space won't be any issue, but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to networking, so I'm not sure if my current setup will be workable. I have a Dual Band 802.11ac Wi-Fi modem provided by my ISP. It has 4 ports, but my friend is bringing a switch (Not sure of the specs, but I know it's a switch and not a hub. Sorry.). My internet speed, according to speedtest.net is 10.5 Mbps down and 2.33 Mbps up.
I'm most concerned about 2 people being able to play online games like overwatch (as only one person is staying for the full week and if my setup can't handle 4 or 5 people playing online, we can just play locally), but was wondering what my limitations might be.
That's about everything I can think of. Sorry if I left anything out, or provided anything irrelevant. Again, not the most knowledgeable, networking-wise. I'd be happy to clarify anything in the comments. Thanks for your help!

Solution
most online games will need form half to 1 megabyte to play, you have 10, youare covered there

on most lan parties the idea is play games on a lan, not on internet, for that, you have your house but if the game needs a online server, well, what can you do? play online

the switch perhaps is not required, it depends on how many people will be playing wired or wireless, if all of them , more than 4 pcs, then the switch is welcome, if not, then it is not necessary

other than the switch, the router, and tables to put all those pcs, you need ethernet cables, plan distances nd buy cables accordingly, longer than necesary cables is always welcome, a short cable serves no purpose

USAFRet

Titan

???????
A 'switch' has nothing to do with WiFi.

ISP->modem/router->switch->multiple hardwired PC's

Yeah, sorry, fluster on my part, didn't mean to mention wifi, dunno what I was thinking. :(
I must've read 'wireless' in the modem name and suddenly jumped track to 5 wifi connections.
It'll be fine to handle those connections @OP.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
most online games will need form half to 1 megabyte to play, you have 10, youare covered there

on most lan parties the idea is play games on a lan, not on internet, for that, you have your house but if the game needs a online server, well, what can you do? play online

the switch perhaps is not required, it depends on how many people will be playing wired or wireless, if all of them , more than 4 pcs, then the switch is welcome, if not, then it is not necessary

other than the switch, the router, and tables to put all those pcs, you need ethernet cables, plan distances nd buy cables accordingly, longer than necesary cables is always welcome, a short cable serves no purpose

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

OK, so...
From your router, the switch.
Multiple systems on either the switch and/or the other lan ports on the router.

You main limiting factor is the 10/2.5 internet speed.
Spread across 5 people, and your online gaming performance might suffer.

Playing strictly locally, you're fine.

Given that you keep saying 'wifi modem' specifically, I must ask to clarify; do you mean a booster?
Connection may not be fantastic online if that's the case, or at least somewhat unstable compared to a direct connection to the primary modem.
Given it's all local though you'll be perfectly fine.