First time moving OS from HDD to SDD without reinstalling windows. Tried EaseUS, but am facing problems.

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019
Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
I recently bought a new 240GB Kingston SSD, and plan to move my windows 10 operating system onto it. I initialized the drive, and it is visible on my computer. I read online that EaseUS backup System clone tool was an easy way to move my OS to my SSD without reinstalling it; however, I get an error saying I lack the space for the clone. This was puzzling at first, but I figure the program is probably cloning the entire C partition of my 1TB hard drive where my OS is. The partition has 460GB, and I think the software is trying to clone the entire thing which is where the problem is caused. I read online that the EaseUS partition software could potentially solve this issue, but I am unsure of how I should go about the process. It would be great if someone could guide me through this process, and if there is some alternative software or method to go about transitioning my OS.

Reactions: lada_
So your 1TB is split into 2 drives and C drive is 460gb?
Is that what you are saying? If so, you are going to have to delete/move programs out of C until you get it under 240gb.
Then shrink C drive to under 240GB so you can clone it.
I don't know any other way you can do it, but maybe there is.

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

https://imgur.com/kQo4fqF
Currently I lack space to move my files, but I have a 1tb hdd that I need to add to the PC.

In current state of your HDD you can not clone it to 240GB SSD.
You'd have to reduce used space of C: to below 200GB first for cloning to be possible.
Move user files away to another drive, uninstall some software until used space is reduced enough.
Or get a bigger SSD - 1TB (500GB wouldn't be enough either in current situation).

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

Yeah I figured I'd have to do that. Thanks. One last thing before I move all the files to my new HDD, what would generally be the name of the system folder, and are there any other files I shouldn't move.
Also, after cloning, do I delete windows from the C drive?

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

Can I just move my entire user folder?

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

Ok. Lastly, after cloning the system, can I delete it from the original drive? Also, would I need to change boot order in BIOS?

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

Okay thanks. Do I not need to set any boot order in the BIOS?

USAFRet

Titan
For a 240GB drive, you must have the actual consumed space on your C partition or drive to be below 200GB.

Once there:
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

Does the space have to be under 200GB for the entire hard disk, or only the C drive partition of the hard disk?

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

D is the SSD and doesn't have partitions. I don't get what you mean.

D: is not SSD. D: is partition on SSD.
You have made configuration changes to virtual memory. Paging file is now located on D: .
You have to remove paging file from D: .
Then you have to delete D: partition completely so SSD has no partitions (just unallocated space).

zgaptfh.png

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

How do I go about deleting the page file, and how important is that file. Deleting it won't have any significant impacts right?

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019

How do I go about deleting the page file, and how important is that file. Deleting it won't have any significant impacts right?

reavant.singh2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019