[SOLVED] First time MSI user tomahawk b450 max

Mar 9, 2020
Can someone specifically tell me how many USB ports I can power while the PC is off? I just need 2 for various chargers and also how to go about activating them?

At the moment I have one active and have had to switch as needed since upgrading

This is also my first pc/upgrade so the simpler the explanation the better.

Thank you for your time

Solution
no luck. in fact the single usb that was working while powered down no longer is either. Its such a pain I only needed 2
I have an MSI B450m Mortar. On my board the only powered USB I can find is the one used for the BIOS FlashBack function; it is a USB 2 in the rear at top in the area of the flashback button and the PS2 port and has a white line circling it on the I/O plate.

You also need a PSU that provides the voltage output with mobo/system turned off. I believe some motherboard BIOS's can disable it, in capable PSU's, for energy savings so you'll have to check for that as it may be defaulted off.

BTW, with it's low-current output it's next to worthless even with the system on. So while yes, it does charge my android...
no luck. in fact the single usb that was working while powered down no longer is either. Its such a pain I only needed 2
I have an MSI B450m Mortar. On my board the only powered USB I can find is the one used for the BIOS FlashBack function; it is a USB 2 in the rear at top in the area of the flashback button and the PS2 port and has a white line circling it on the I/O plate.

You also need a PSU that provides the voltage output with mobo/system turned off. I believe some motherboard BIOS's can disable it, in capable PSU's, for energy savings so you'll have to check for that as it may be defaulted off.

BTW, with it's low-current output it's next to worthless even with the system on. So while yes, it does charge my android phone it takes a long time. There are so many suitable Samsung/LG/no-name chargers and power packs floating around now, I got a small one that's hardly bigger than the cable itself. Plugged it in on the same power strip as my computer and it charges my phone in less than half the time.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 9, 2020

BTW, with it's low-current output it's next to worthless even with the system on. So while yes, it does charge my android phone it takes a long time. There are so many suitable Samsung/LG/no-name chargers and power packs floating around now, I got a small one that's hardly bigger than the cable itself. Plugged it in on the same power strip as my computer and it charges my phone in less than half the time.
I had previously used my gigabyte board which powered all USB's to just keep biased lighting on at all times for soft lighting and charging console controllers as I slept