[SOLVED] First Time OC (4,8 GHz)

Nov 5, 2018
I just wanted to ask if i did something wrong oc-ing. I have a i7 7700k in a MSI MPower Z270 Titanium Motherboard and set the cores from 4,2 to 4,8 with a volt of 1.200 and I though everything is going fine until I noticed that even under load I stay at 4,8018 ghz but only need 1.016 Volt to do so. Am I missing smt or did I just hit a 1 in a Million Chip? If so could someone explain to me if I did manage to get smt wrong

Solution
CPU-Z is pretty limited. HWinfo offers a lot more information.

HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Realtemp, Speccy, Speedfan, Windows utilities, CPU-Z and most of the bundled motherboard utilities are often not the best choice as they are not always accurate. Some are actually grossly inaccurate, especially with certain chipsets or specific sensors that for whatever reason they tend to not like or work well with. I've found HWinfo or CoreTemp to be the MOST accurate with the broadest range of chipsets and sensors. They are also almost religiously kept up to date.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals including core temps or distance to TJmax on AMD platforms.

HWinfo is great for pretty much EVERYTHING, including CPU thermals, core...
No, there are no "one in a million chips" that can run at even stock speeds at 1.016v, and sure as hell not at 4.8Ghz with 1.2v. Never. Ever.

You are seeing the core VID NOT the CPU core voltage. For a 4.8Ghz OC on any Intel CPU from the last four or five generations, you'll need something more like 1.35v or higher with a line load calibration setting of either high, or a numerical setting of about 4-6, depending on your board and what settings options for LLC it has.

Plus, even if it WILL POST and boot at those settings, it could NEVER be stable and you absolutely better worry about thermal compliance and stability before you start thinking you've struck gold or that everything is even "ok".

Start here, and then you can move on to more advanced tuning and dial it in once you're sure it's capable of supporting a specific configuration.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3761568/cpu-overclocking-guide-tutorial-beginners-work-progress.html

Nov 5, 2018
Thanks really I think you are right I should learn more about oc first. Would it be possible to still send you my cpu-Z stats so you can better understand my situation?

CPU-Z is pretty limited. HWinfo offers a lot more information.

HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Realtemp, Speccy, Speedfan, Windows utilities, CPU-Z and most of the bundled motherboard utilities are often not the best choice as they are not always accurate. Some are actually grossly inaccurate, especially with certain chipsets or specific sensors that for whatever reason they tend to not like or work well with. I've found HWinfo or CoreTemp to be the MOST accurate with the broadest range of chipsets and sensors. They are also almost religiously kept up to date.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals including core temps or distance to TJmax on AMD platforms.

HWinfo is great for pretty much EVERYTHING, including CPU thermals, core loads, core temps, package temps, GPU sensors, HDD and SSD sensors, motherboard chipset and VRM sensor, all of it. Always select the "Sensors only" option when running HWinfo.

In cases where it is relevant and you are seeking help, then in order to help you, it's often necessary to SEE what's going on, in the event one of us can pick something out that seems out of place, or other indicators that just can't be communicated via a text only post. In these cases, posting an image of the HWinfo sensors or something else can be extremely helpful. That may not be the case in YOUR thread, but if it is then the information at the following link will show you how to do that:

*How to post images in Tom's hardware forums

Run HWinfo and look at system voltages and other sensor readings.

Monitoring temperatures, core speeds, voltages, clock ratios and other reported sensor data can often help to pick out an issue right off the bat. HWinfo is a good way to get that data and in my experience tends to be more accurate than some of the other utilities available. CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Core Temp all have their uses but HWinfo tends to have it all laid out in a more convenient fashion so you can usually see what one sensor is reporting while looking at another instead of having to flip through various tabs that have specific groupings.

After installation, run the utility and when asked, choose "sensors only". The other window options have some use but in most cases everything you need will be located in the sensors window. If you're taking screenshots to post for troubleshooting, it will most likely require taking three screenshots and scrolling down the sensors window between screenshots in order to capture them all.

It is most helpful if you can take a series of HWinfo screenshots at idle, after a cold boot to the desktop. Open HWinfo and wait for all of the Windows startup processes to complete. Usually about four or five minutes should be plenty. Take screenshots of all the HWinfo sensors.

Next, run something demanding like Prime95 version 26.6 or Heaven benchmark. Take another set of screenshots while either of those is running so we can see what the hardware is doing while under a load.

*Download HWinfo

For temperature monitoring only, I feel Core Temp is the most accurate and also offers a quick visual reference for core speed, load and CPU voltage:

*Download Core Temp

Solution