[SOLVED] First time OC i7 8700k 3.7 Ghz to 5.1 Ghz

Sep 27, 2020
Hey guys,

so Im pretty new to Overclocking and as such very paranoid, so I just want some assurance and light advice on how to see/handle the situation. I recently decided to OC my CPU after a friend (who has a bit more experience with it) recommended it, since my CPU was bottlenecking my RTX 2070 in the high framerate area, esp. in some more CPU-reliant games.

Here is my general system:

Intel i7 8700k @3.7 Ghz
Corsair H100i Platinum 240mm
MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Armored Edition 8GB
G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 RAM 2x8GB @3200
MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk
Cooler Master H500 case
Corsair RM750x PSU (this is the only component im not sure about. Its corsair, its 750W, I ... just don't remember the exact series and can't be bothered to look for the packaging rn. Its full-modular and at least Gold standard if not better)

Aside from the fact that I had a memory leakage that threw me off (I thought it was a problem with the OC, but I found out DURING the overclock that my Antivirus was somehow hogging all the RAM, causing a pool of 10+ GB of non-paged memory and massive issues on my PC. After uninstalling the antivirus software it was all gone and back to normal. After (obviously) setting it back to factory clock and some time of monitoring I went back to attempt the OC.

I used a combination of a video guide by "derbauer" for the i7 8700k and my (overclocker) friends advice. Derbauer had an Asus board in the video, mine is MSI, but I figured out which options are named what and got it running nicely.

I started with 5.0 Ghz and a frequency of 1.35. Set the ring frequency from the 44 that was the default to the 42 "derbauer" had in his video and it remained there without issues. I thought about getting an AVX offset of -2, but my friend said just to put it to 0. I ran Cinebench (Score in 1500s on "normal priority" in task manager, 1650-ish on "high priority") and Prime95 for 1 hour and 10 minutes (the non AVX version 266) with 0 errors, 0 warnings on all the cores. Top Temperatures were around 82/83°C, average was hovering in the 60s and 70s. Idle temps were (and are) 40° and below. Obviously I had my cooling settings on the highest possible setting.

We decided to go up and found the build with 5.1 Ghz and 1.35 unstable. I had a BSOD during some of the Cinebench tests. Went to 5.1 with 1.36 and succesfully ran Cinebench multiple times and prime95 for more than an hour, without issues. Max temps were around 83/84°C.

The chip is not delidded btw. Its getting winter here, so outside temps are a bit low (15° or lower) and it was probably 20° maximum in my room, so keep that in mind. Im kind of worried about summer and if I should keep an eye on that in Spring 2021 so I can set it back down to the 5.0 Ghz / 1.35V if its getting too hot.

My current main concern is mainly with the (very short) "max temp" spikes I see in HWMonitor sometimes, where some of the the CPU cores go to 68 or 70°C at (relatively) idle state. I watch some videos, type some stuff, have some background programs running, but generally I do nothing. The real-time temperatures mostly hover around 33 - 40°C, but the "max temp" says 68 or 70. Are these very brief instances normal and acceptable in idle?

The long story short, like I said. I just want some reassurance on those temps and see if they are acceptable, and maybe a guess as to how they might change during summer next year, should I still have the same system.

(PS: Also played Overwatch, low settings, 400 FPS stable, temperatures around ~50°C. And AimLab, which gave me 1600 FPS, ~54°C without too much variation. I might test DOOM on UItra (FPS unlocked) or a similar game soon, just to see how it goes)

All that aside, what do you guys think about the OC. Im new to this. I tried 5.2 Ghz, and went all the way up to 1.41V during testing, but couldn't get it stable. I didn't want to go further, so I set it back to the 5.1 and 1.36V that Im at now.

EDIT: I'm having CPU LLC at "Level 6" in my MB power settings and "CPU Current Capability" at "140%" as instructed in the video.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey guys,

so Im pretty new to Overclocking and as such very paranoid, so I just want some assurance and light advice on how to see/handle the situation. I recently decided to OC my CPU after a friend (who has a bit more experience with it) recommended it, since my CPU was bottlenecking my RTX 2070 in the high framerate area, esp. in some more CPU-reliant games.

Intel i7 8700k @3.7 Ghz
MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk
Cooler Master H500 case
Corsair RM750x PSU (this is the only component im not sure about. Its corsair, its 750W, I ... just don't remember the exact series and can't be bothered to look for the...

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Hey guys,

Intel i7 8700k @3.7 Ghz
MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk
Cooler Master H500 case
Corsair RM750x PSU (this is the only component im not sure about. Its corsair, its 750W, I ... just don't remember the exact series and can't be bothered to look for the packaging rn. Its full-modular and at least Gold standard if not better)

Aside from the fact that I had a memory leakage that threw me off (I thought it was a problem with the OC, but I found out DURING the overclock that my Antivirus was somehow hogging all the RAM, causing a pool of 10+ GB of non-paged memory and massive issues on my PC. After uninstalling the antivirus software it was all gone and back to normal. After (obviously) setting it back to factory clock and some time of monitoring I went back to attempt the OC.

I used a combination of a video guide by "derbauer" for the i7 8700k and my (overclocker) friends advice. Derbauer had an Asus board in the video, mine is MSI, but I figured out which options are named what and got it running nicely.

I started with 5.0 Ghz and a frequency of 1.35. Set the ring frequency from the 44 that was the default to the 42 "derbauer" had in his video and it remained there without issues. I thought about getting an AVX offset of -2, but my friend said just to put it to 0. I ran Cinebench (Score in 1500s on "normal priority" in task manager, 1650-ish on "high priority") and Prime95 for 1 hour and 10 minutes (the non AVX version 266) with 0 errors, 0 warnings on all the cores. Top Temperatures were around 82/83°C, average was hovering in the 60s and 70s. Idle temps were (and are) 40° and below. Obviously I had my cooling settings on the highest possible setting.

We decided to go up and found the build with 5.1 Ghz and 1.35 unstable. I had a BSOD during some of the Cinebench tests. Went to 5.1 with 1.36 and succesfully ran Cinebench multiple times and prime95 for more than an hour, without issues. Max temps were around 83/84°C.

The chip is not delidded btw. Its getting winter here, so outside temps are a bit low (15° or lower) and it was probably 20° maximum in my room, so keep that in mind. Im kind of worried about summer and if I should keep an eye on that in Spring 2021 so I can set it back down to the 5.0 Ghz / 1.35V if its getting too hot.

My current main concern is mainly with the (very short) "max temp" spikes I see in HWMonitor sometimes, where some of the the CPU cores go to 68 or 70°C at (relatively) idle state. I watch some videos, type some stuff, have some background programs running, but generally I do nothing. The real-time temperatures mostly hover around 33 - 40°C, but the "max temp" says 68 or 70. Are these very brief instances normal and acceptable in idle?

The long story short, like I said. I just want some reassurance on those temps and see if they are acceptable, and maybe a guess as to how they might change during summer next year, should I still have the same system.

(PS: Also played Overwatch, low settings, 400 FPS stable, temperatures around ~50°C. And AimLab, which gave me 1600 FPS, ~54°C without too much variation. I might test DOOM on UItra (FPS unlocked) or a similar game soon, just to see how it goes)

All that aside, what do you guys think about the OC. Im new to this. I tried 5.2 Ghz, and went all the way up to 1.41V during testing, but couldn't get it stable. I didn't want to go further, so I set it back to the 5.1 and 1.36V that Im at now.

EDIT: I'm having CPU LLC at "Level 6" in my MB power settings and "CPU Current Capability" at "140%" as instructed in the video.

seems pretty good, im in the same boat as you took my 8700k from 5Ghz to 5.1Ghz,gaming sits around 50c but while idle i get the idle spikes up to 70c for a split second,

Solution