[SOLVED] First time overclock of my old PC i4770k -> 4-4.1Ghz

cer

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hi, so after advice from forum I've been trying to squeeze bit more perfomance out of my I7-4770k - Hero 4 mobo.

Nothing fancy just wanted to push to a safe 4-4.1GHz. I followed step by step preset guide from same cpu on youtube though video very outdated.

Here is my first test at 4.1GHz I've included BIOS changes and a 10 minute cinebench test.
FmNCpOp.png

umkOkd6.jpg

Turned it down 4Ghz:
DxL8dDQ.png

BMCSfZQ.jpg

For some reason when both 10 minute tests ended, the screen went black for split second not sure if that is relevant.

I get better score at lower speed 4Ghz

Anything you recommend I change or anything that seems really off? Thank you !

Solution
they are not totally out of wack at below 80.

forget the stress test, how does it look when you are actually using the pc for its intended purpose? that's what really matters. how does it do in game or whatever else you do with it? looks like it will ikely stay under 70 in a game which is fine. nothing to worry about there. but do monitor it for an average gaming session to know for sure what the temps are gonna look like. my 4690k stays below 65 no matter what i do other than a torture test which is not indicative of real world usage anyway.

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Hi, so after advice from forum I've been trying to squeeze bit more perfomance out of my I7-4770k - Hero 4 mobo.

Nothing fancy just wanted to push to a safe 4-4.1GHz. I followed step by step preset guide from same cpu on youtube though video very outdated.

Here is my first test at 4.1GHz I've included BIOS changes and a 10 minute cinebench test.
FmNCpOp.png

umkOkd6.jpg

Turned it down 4Ghz:
DxL8dDQ.png

BMCSfZQ.jpg

For some reason when both 10 minute tests ended, the screen went black for split second not sure if that is relevant.

I get better score at lower speed 4Ghz

Anything you recommend I change or anything that seems really off? Thank you !
Hello!
This small difference in Cinebench R20 can occur sometimes. A 100MHz overclock doesn't really do much performance wise. As far as the black screen goes, are you sure it is right after the benchmark is finished or does it occur randomly?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
do you have adequate cooling? those chips took more cooling than the stock cooler to get the most out of them.

i have a 4690k system with a hyper 212 evo that's been running at 4.2 ghz since the day i built it no problem. temps stay nice and low. so may just be the cooling on the chip holding it back some.

cer

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hello!
This small difference in Cinebench R20 can occur sometimes. A 100MHz overclock doesn't really do much performance wise. As far as the black screen goes, are you sure it is right after the benchmark is finished or does it occur randomly?
Yes right as the benchmark timer hits 0:00, I ran the ten minute test again but it did not happen, hopefully its nothing.

do you have adequate cooling? those chips took more cooling than the stock cooler to get the most out of them.

i have a 4690k system with a hyper 212 evo that's been running at 4.2 ghz since the day i built it no problem. temps stay nice and low. so may just be the cooling on the chip holding it back some.
I'm using Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler and the case has quite a few fans, I've not re-applied thermal paste since I built it which was around 5-6 years ago.
Keep in mind I used someone else settings for 4.3Ghz on youtube only changing the core ratio to 4.1 to be safe. I might be missing tweak here and there.

Are the temperatures reaching high 70 a really bad test feedback?

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Yes right as the benchmark timer hits 0:00, I ran the ten minute test again but it did not happen, hopefully its nothing.

I'm using Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler and the case has quite a few fans, I've not thermal paste since I built it which was around 5-6 years ago.
Keep in mind I used someone else settings for 4.3Ghz on youtube video only changing the core ratio to 4.1 to be safe. I might be missing tweak here and there.

Are the temperatures reaching high 70 a really bad test feedback?
Maybe motherboard can't take the overclock.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

forget the stress test, how does it look when you are actually using the pc for its intended purpose? that's what really matters. how does it do in game or whatever else you do with it? looks like it will ikely stay under 70 in a game which is fine. nothing to worry about there. but do monitor it for an average gaming session to know for sure what the temps are gonna look like. my 4690k stays below 65 no matter what i do other than a torture test which is not indicative of real world usage anyway.

Solution

cer

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Oh its been running completely fine the temp fluctuates between 40-50 right now while gaming.