First time overclocker...Few questions

steelers743

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Well as it says in the description it is my first time ever overclocking and want to make sure I know the right info before I start changing things. I have watched a lot of videos and read guides so I understand the basics. I will be clocking my CPU by increasing the BUS then Voltage, and GPU by Core first then Memory. Sorry for a lot of questions

My setup:
AMD FX 8320
GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3
Thermaltake ToughPower TP-650P 80 PLUS GOLD
AMD R9 270x
Corsair 650D with 200m front intake, 200mm top exhaust
Corsair H60 120mm LC rear push intake

Questions:
1. Will I have any problem overclocking with this setup/what kind of clocks do you think I can obtain? Should I have any concerns?

2. I want to make sure I have all of the correct max temps so I don't overcook anything.
Thermal Limits
-CPU Core - 62 Celsius
-CPU Socket - 72 Celsius
-GPU Max - 80 Celsius
-MOSFET temperature below 70°C
Voltage Limits
- CPU Manual Voltage 1.55v
- GPU Max Voltage ??? Cant find anything, is it safe to increase or just leave it alone?

3. Is this PS/Motherboard combo safe to run Ultra High CPU load line, and 130% over current?

2. Does it matter if I set my CPU Ratio to 18.5 or 20? or is that just the number that multiples the Bus to get the clock speed?

4. I have 1866MHz RAM...when I increase the Bus Frequency it increases the RAM MHz. Is it safe to just let the MHz change with the BUS or do I have to manually move it back down to 1866MHz?

5. Should I even touch the Core Voltage on my GPU even if my temps are in check?

6. Is there an order of what to overclock first CPU, GPU, RAM or doesn't it matter?

7. Is overclocking RAM worth it? Is it safe to overclock my ram (8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz ADATA XPG V2)

So far I think that is all I have now. Thank you guys for all of the help, let hope I got some lucky gear! :)

Solution
Basically how the core clock is calculated is
Bus speed X Multiplier
for eg
200(bus speed)x15
=
3ghz

I wouldn't advise overclocking through the bus at first,just increase your multiplier little by little,then once you reach the wall where you have to increase your voltage increase it 1 by 1,then once you get your desired amount run a stress testing program to find out the stability of your O/C.Now after you gain the stability you lower your multiplier by a bit and increase your bus accordingly but don't overclock your bus too much otherwise your ram and mobo might get freaky deaky.

Amangoel23

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Basically how the core clock is calculated is
Bus speed X Multiplier
for eg
200(bus speed)x15
=
3ghz

I wouldn't advise overclocking through the bus at first,just increase your multiplier little by little,then once you reach the wall where you have to increase your voltage increase it 1 by 1,then once you get your desired amount run a stress testing program to find out the stability of your O/C.Now after you gain the stability you lower your multiplier by a bit and increase your bus accordingly but don't overclock your bus too much otherwise your ram and mobo might get freaky deaky.

Solution

steelers743

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Gotcha.
So the stock bus speed for this process/motherboard is 200? Making the stock values
200(bus)x17.5(multi) = 3.5ghz

So buy just increasing all it changes is the CPU speed and not increase the northbridge and RAM? Then once I hit a wall just lightly increase the BUS and see if it becomes stable.
Does the RAM have to stay at 1866MHz?

Amangoel23

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
No the ram doesn't has to stay at 1866 mhz but it is recommend to not overclock into your ram unless really needed,and by wall I mean until you can't boot up with the stock voltages.
Use intelburntest too after you run prime95 and see if it is stable or not.
And currently unless you render videos,do cpu intensive programs,you do not need to overclock your ram as 1866mhz is more than enough