[SOLVED] First time overclocking a 10900KF. Just want some guidance.

elvergon

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I just got a 10900KF paired with a Z490 Gaming-E motherboard, been reading a lot of info about OC, never done it before with any CPU, I'm wondering if it's necessary and its a huge gain? I've read some degradation on the cpu within a year or so, I've seen that stock it gets to 4.9ghz. I've been thinking maybe get it to 5.0ghz all cores. It will be cool with a NZXT Z63 AIO. I was using a Ryzen 3700x but got tired of the CPU temperature jump all over the places and not stable idle temperatures, I totally understand a CPU being hot while on load, but not on idle, I know that it might be normal for ryzen, but I just don't like that. I'll be following this guide: https://www.overclockers.com/how-to-...ing-the-beast/, and I just have a question MCE should be all disabled, or enabled- remove all limits? Thanks and any guidance will be really appreciated.

Solution
Most at least like to try MCE-enabled, which will allow all cores to hit target turbo clock speeds, if thermals/default core voltage allow it; although folks like to 'poo-poo' on Intel's XTU app, it works well at allowing quick access to assorted TDP/all-core turbo clock speeds, core voltage increases/decreases, with good graphs of temps and indications of throttling if occurring. In the event of any instability that results in a lock-up resulting in an unclean shutdown, the app sees that there was no clean shutdown performed, and defaults back to factory specs...

Additionally, yiou can still run in Balanced Power plan, so the systme loafs around at 800-1500 MHz when merely surfing, but, instantly ramps up to max configured...
Most at least like to try MCE-enabled, which will allow all cores to hit target turbo clock speeds, if thermals/default core voltage allow it; although folks like to 'poo-poo' on Intel's XTU app, it works well at allowing quick access to assorted TDP/all-core turbo clock speeds, core voltage increases/decreases, with good graphs of temps and indications of throttling if occurring. In the event of any instability that results in a lock-up resulting in an unclean shutdown, the app sees that there was no clean shutdown performed, and defaults back to factory specs...

Additionally, yiou can still run in Balanced Power plan, so the systme loafs around at 800-1500 MHz when merely surfing, but, instantly ramps up to max configured clock speeds under load.

INtel's XTU is quite easy to use, and, seemingly fool-proof. (Although I'm someone will be along shortly to explain that the all-core 4.9 GHz speed attained 2 seconds after boot complete is somehow not as good or as fast as one set /configured identically within the BIOS, I'm sure.... :)

Solution
(Additionally, depending on your GPU, as most are GPU-bottlenecked in many games even at 1080P, running higher than normal speeds may not benefit you noticeably in gaming...; you can measure the performance changes yourself in minimum/average FPS to see if the added heat/clock speeds are worth it.)

elvergon

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
(Additionally, depending on your GPU, as most are GPU-bottlenecked in many games even at 1080P, running higher than normal speeds may not benefit you noticeably in gaming...; you can measure the performance changes yourself in minimum/average FPS to see if the added heat/clock speeds are worth it.)

Thanks for your reply, I will give it a try to XTU, didn't know it existed, I'm using a 3080 with the build. I think I'm fine with 4.9ghz on all cores or 5.0ghz, I've seen that maybe 1.35v is a bit higher for it? I've seen some people under 1.3 with 5ghz but I'm not sure if that will give less heat or more heat, I guess I need to read a bit more about that topic before heading into playing with the settings. I highly appreciate your input! thanks