Question First time overclocking my CPU, Help?

remz09

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
So it's my first time overclocking my i7 3820 to 4.3ghz. I won't bother fiddling with the BCLK just because I don't have enough knowledge... yet.

The thing I wanna ask is:
is VID and CPU VCORE different?
I use HWID and CPU-Z to check my VCORE.
In HWID, I get a max of 1.272, min 0.936 of VCORE and max 1.311V, min 1.036 of VID = They are different. Is this normal? is 1.311V too high?
In CPU-Z, I get min 0.968 max of 1.272 Core Voltage. My temps on idle hover about 39-41c, 69-73c underload (in games), me being on a pretty warm room, no AC, pretty hot country.
And using a Hyper 212 CPU cooler, which I think is not very good?

Edit: I'm using offset. System is pretty stable I would say.

Lutfij

Titan
For that cooler, the temps seem to be in line. By hot(in your country) what are you ambient air temps? Do you use both app's individually or are the both running at the same time? Also, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Speaking of which, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

remz09

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
For that cooler, the temps seem to be in line. By hot(in your country) what are you ambient air temps? Do you use both app's individually or are the both running at the same time? Also, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Speaking of which, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

I don't really know my ambient air temps. I'm from Asia, which generally has a lot of hot area. Yes, I do use both at the same time. Is this wrong? I'm too afraid to update my BIOS because my friend bricked his board not a long time ago. We had the exact same board and cpu.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 clocked @ 4.3ghz
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79
RAM: 8Gb of low profile 1333mhz RAM (changing to 32gb 1866 mhz soon)
SSD/HDD: 120gb of Sandisk SSD, 1tb of WD Blue 7200 rpm.
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb (Not OC'd, coz again, im scared :()
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 600w 80+ Bronze
Chassis: NZXT Lexa S Crafted Series (pretty old chassis, might change later. I do like the look of this one though)
OS: Windows 10 65 bit @ version 1903 ( Have an update for 1909, I'll do it later, maybe)

remz09

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
I would change the CPU cooler and maybe a better quality PSU

I'm planning to change to a Corsair PSU but don't know what yet. Also planning on getting a 2060 on the cheap when the sales come (sales here are pretty insane, you just have to be the first one to buy it. LOL)
Could you recommend a CPU cooler? If I could stay with Air Cooling, I would but if not, I can go AIO.
Also, are those voltage fine?

remz09

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
VID is what the CPU is programmatically rated at for said speed. It's what your CPU 'wants' and is the voltage 'yardstick' used by your motherboard.

Vcore is what the CPU is currently getting.

Does the CPU necessarily need to get the VID? The Voltage that my CPU wants? Because my VCORE is lower than my VID, which means my CPU isn't getting the voltage it 'wants'? I'm confused.