Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb DDR4 3000 MHZ
SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
HDD Seagate 2 TB Hybrid Drive 7200RPM
GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti
Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750w Platinum Efficiency

I have never overclocked but I want to do so now and I had a few questions. I had already enabled my XMP profile to get the appropriate Memory speed and I will modify the multiplier and increase voltage as appropriate.

What stability tests do you recommend to use to test the overclock? I've been reading different things in terms of not using the latest Prime95 due to its use of AVX. Is that true or should I use a different test altogether? Overclock.net Skylake guide recommends using a customized version of X264. Or should I use a mix of them ( prime95, linx, x264, XTU IBT etc.)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

x264 is fine. Prime95 26.6 is fine. Aida64 is fine. You can run just one of them or try a couple of them out.

The reason why nobody recommends Prime 28.9 is because it places such an unrealistic workload on your system. It's not dangerous or anything, I run 28.9 all the time on my machine (stock clocks) as part of GIMPS.

I use OCCT which I think has a more representative set of instructions.
It will stop the test at 85c.

First of all, set the ram to 1.2v which will be 2400 speed.
Higher XMP speeds will increase the ram voltage and can impact your oc.
Faster ram means little for actual performance.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html

Leaving voltage on auto, gradually raise the max multiplier.
You will reach a vcore limit(about 1.4v) before you reach max temperature.
Monitor vcore with cpu-z.
Here is what you can expect:
As of 5/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.40v Vcore.

I5-6600K
5.0 2%
4.9 11%
4.8 36%
4.7 64%
4.6 88%

Lastly, implement speedstep using adaptive voltage.
That will reduce the multiplier and Vcore when the cpu has little to do.

If you only want something safe and useful stop here.
You can probably do more if you want to learn all of the inns and outs of skylake overclocking.

doublej3000

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

You feel just using OCCT is sufficient? What settings should I use in OCCT to test my overclock?

I was playing with it and did an oc of 4.5 ghz and 1.28 v. When running OCCT large data set I am getting max temps of about 58 degrees. Would I be able to clock higher and what temps should I be maxing out at?

I had also changed the cpu core cache limit to 255.5 to limit throttling and the max and min to 41. I also set the load line calibration to level 5 (level 8 is max so in the middle)

Is it better to leave voltage on auto as opposed to setting voltages myself and testing which approximate voltage will work? Also in regards to speed step is there an issue with disabling it or is keeping the high clock damage long term use of the chip?