Feb 26, 2019
Alright everybody, I'm stumped. I really need a new PC, I don't however want to break the bank. First off, this is what I'm wanting to do;

(1.) I have an Elgato HD for streaming/recording console games.

(2.) Possibly run PC games, maybe not AAA titles

(3.) Video editing

Ok, now I have done several hypothetical builds via PCPartsPicker.com, and I know the best budget processor is the Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x, unfortunately, this runs me up to $800. This would also be my first PC Build so I'm incredibly nervous. I've been doing alot of research, and everytime I find what I think is a decent Build, I read things or watch videos that contradict me. I am a complete novice and I can't seem to come to a decision. If anyone could give a few hints/help on this. I get to do this once, If I can get by on a Ryzen 3 2200g with a good GPU then I'll do that. I understand I maybe asking alot, but I need some advice...

Phazoner

Distinguished
I guess the video editing you are talking about is a very amateur level editing. Ryzens are the best for this and the better the processor is the faster will it perform the commanded tasks.

Getting a 2200G or a 2400G is a great choice as they perform really good as CPUs and have an integrated GPU which can allow you to play any old games and probably some of the newer ones in low resolutions and settings, and anyways you have always the chance to pair them with a dedicated GPU (a graphics card) and get a much better performance.

Depending on the prices I would pick one or another. The 2400G has a integrated GPU about a 50% more powerful than the one of the 2200G (almost a PS4 vs nearly a Xbox One), but CPU wise they perform very similarly. Also get a minimum of 8GB of RAM, >3000 speed if possible as Ryzens benefit a lot of high speed RAMs. If your motherboard has 4 slots, get two 4GB sticks to get advantage of dual-channel.

Reactions: Peiguy
Feb 26, 2019
I guess the video editing you are talking about is a very amateur level editing. Ryzens are the best for this and the better the processor is the faster will it perform the commanded tasks.

Getting a 2200G or a 2400G is a great choice as they perform really good as CPUs and have an integrated GPU which can allow you to play any old games and probably some of the newer ones in low resolutions and settings, and anyways you have always the chance to pair them with a dedicated GPU (a graphics card) and get a much better performance.

Depending on the prices I would pick one or another. The 2400G has a integrated GPU about a 50% more powerful than the one of the 2200G (almost a PS4 vs nearly a Xbox One), but CPU wise they perform very similarly. Also get a minimum of 8GB of RAM, >3000 speed if possible as Ryzens benefit a lot of high speed RAMs. If your motherboard has 4 slots, get two 4GB sticks to get advantage of dual-channel.

Yes it would be amatuer, but It would need to be strong enough to maybe run Sony Vegas or other Mid-range editing software. As far as the 2400G, I've never looked into that one, and I'm sorry for asking this question, but is it capable of handling streaming/ running Elgato? Mainly Elgato HD/ Elgato 60? (Recording/ Streaming) I understand I am probably asking a redundant question, but like I've said, everytime I do research on a particular CPU in my spare time, I get discouraged by reading tech forums/ watching videos, though I suppose that's easy for me since I'm a complete Novice on the topic at hand.

The advantage of getting the Ryzen lower tier is that you can always upgrade in the future.
If you don't have all the cash with you now, you can buy what you can afford and the CPU can be upgraded in a years time with no problem (just a bios update).

I'd go with the 2400G with 2x4gb 3200 Ram -
This system allows upgrades in the future when you can save abit more cash but still get a decent system now.
I looked at the software Elgato the specs https://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1020255-elgato-game-capture-hd-system-requirements
This totally blows out the specs you need for this software to work.

Reactions: Phazoner
Feb 26, 2019
The advantage of getting the Ryzen lower tier is that you can always upgrade in the future.
If you don't have all the cash with you now, you can buy what you can afford and the CPU can be upgraded in a years time with no problem (just a bios update).

I'd go with the 2400G with 2x4gb 3200 Ram -
This system allows upgrades in the future when you can save abit more cash but still get a decent system now.
I looked at the software Elgato the specs https://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1020255-elgato-game-capture-hd-system-requirements
This totally blows out the specs you need for this software to work.

Ok, so I take it that it'll run said programs, good. Next question, should I get a traditional spinning hard drive dueled withan added SSD. Isaw a video of a PC Build where it was recommended to do SSD to load Windows onto the machine, plue SSd are far faster that Spinning Drives. Should I combo them, or do just the spinning drive or SSD? Plus if I did go strictly SSD, what storage capcity should run with to keep from having to upgrade too soon in the future. Sorry, but that seems to be the many questions that keep popping up, in this personal quest of mine.

Feb 26, 2019
You should have minimum 256GB for C drive SSD - the bigger the better really. Plus one HDD for mass storage.
Evo Plus M2 Nvme 512gb is what I would go for, for main drive. All depends on your budget
Alright, so now the thing that is a budget killer, the GPU. I know Elgato won't run well with an App but my hypothetical builds, this is what breaks me. Usually I'm told to pair this with an RX 580, but I don't need a state of the art system otherwise I'd get the Ryzen 5 2600. (PLEASE NOTE: I'm aware the Ryzen 5 is far from state of the art.)

Looks OK to me, although you could change the SSD to an M2 or Nvme - Also you dont have RAM in that computer.
You can buy windows 10 a lot cheaper from recommended websites (although controversial with the mods here) Even tomshardware recommended using a different site to get windows 10.
Personally, if you know Guru3d.com (which is one of the best news/hardware sites out there) they have a link on their page to a discounted windows 10 being about $14. I have purchased this and never had a problem on the machines I have purchased this for.
If you change your windows 10 selection for the cheaper option I would then do the following
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BD...-250-gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7s250bw for your Main drive
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KQ...0-8gb-gaming-8g-video-card-gv-rx580gaming-8gd for a better GPU at $10 more!

Below is the full specs including some RAM (plus add $15 for windows 10 64bit pro)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Team - T-Force Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.41 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T2UH USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $729.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 20:50 EST-0500

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6kLtTB

Here is the list:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($339.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $840.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 22:08 EST-0500

This is a powerhouse for that budget. You can add in HDD later as per your requirement. Great for both Gaming and Video editing.

Feb 26, 2019
Looks OK to me, although you could change the SSD to an M2 or Nvme - Also you dont have RAM in that computer.
You can buy windows 10 a lot cheaper from recommended websites (although controversial with the mods here) Even tomshardware recommended using a different site to get windows 10.
Personally, if you know Guru3d.com (which is one of the best news/hardware sites out there) they have a link on their page to a discounted windows 10 being about $14. I have purchased this and never had a problem on the machines I have purchased this for.
If you change your windows 10 selection for the cheaper option I would then do the following
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BD...-250-gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7s250bw for your Main drive
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KQ...0-8gb-gaming-8g-video-card-gv-rx580gaming-8gd for a better GPU at $10 more!

Below is the full specs including some RAM (plus add $15 for windows 10 64bit pro)

Memory: Team - T-Force Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T2UH USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.88 @ Amazon)

As great as thr

As great as the Windows deal sounds, it

The Windows deal sounds a little too good to be true, it's not a bootleg is it? 🤔🤨

Phazoner

Distinguished
Yes it would be amatuer, but It would need to be strong enough to maybe run Sony Vegas or other Mid-range editing software. As far as the 2400G, I've never looked into that one, and I'm sorry for asking this question, but is it capable of handling streaming/ running Elgato? Mainly Elgato HD/ Elgato 60? (Recording/ Streaming) I understand I am probably asking a redundant question, but like I've said, everytime I do research on a particular CPU in my spare time, I get discouraged by reading tech forums/ watching videos, though I suppose that's easy for me since I'm a complete Novice on the topic at hand.

The more you pay for the CPU the faster will it be editing. The 2200G/2400G are powerful CPUs and definitely can handle that Elgato's. Being amateur means less time/workload when editing so that was a try of measuring how much you need raw power. Get a 2400G and you will be fine.

Here is the list:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($339.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $840.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 22:08 EST-0500

This is a powerhouse for that budget. You can add in HDD later as per your requirement. Great for both Gaming and Video editing.

I can see you spent a bit more time than me, I just edited his original.
But I wouldn't go for the SSD or the GPU - just because it is not as good as the Evo Plus and the GPU is just out of his budget.
Evo Plus and 580 will be more than enough for this build

OP
You don't seem to understand computers much and its very difficult to explain things on a forum, without taking lots of time.
The HDD is for STORAGE, things and files you don't need to use often, such as movies or photos.
The SSD is for things you use all the time and need maximum performance. It is not just for Windows, its for everything you use day to day.
For instance, your web browser, your editing software, the storage of the files you are editing, once edited can be moved to HDD, but since it's a 500 GB SSD, its already large and you may not need the extra space. I don't know, only you know if you need the extra storage space or not.

As for windows 10 - its legit, did you not read my post?

Last edited:
But I wouldn't go for the SSD or the GPU - just because it is not as good as the Evo Plus and the GPU is just out of his budget.

OP
You don't seem to understand computers much and its very difficult to explain things on a forum, without taking lots of time.
The HDD is for STORAGE, things and files you don't need to use often, such as movies or photos.
The SSD is for things you use all the time and need maximum performance. It is not just for Windows, its for everything you use day to day.
For instance, your web browser, your editing software, the storage of the files you are editing, once edited can be moved to HDD, but since it's a 500 GB SSD, its already large and you may not need the extra space. I don't know, only you know if you need the extra storage space or not.

The most important part is overall performance. That GPU is not overpriced for the performance package. At that perticular price segment there is nothing that could beat it. RTX2060 is performing on par or even better than GTX1070Ti which is not bad at all for its price.
SSD to be honest having SSD over HDD is a big jump for me instead of spending huge amount to get NVMe. I recommend to spend on NVMe SSD only if the performance of CPU and GPU is not being compromised.

The most important part is overall performance. That GPU is not overpriced for the performance package. At that perticular price segment there is nothing that could beat it. RTX2060 is performing on par or even better than GTX1070Ti which is not bad at all for its price.
SSD to be honest having SSD over HDD is a big jump for me instead of spending huge amount to get NVMe. I recommend to spend on NVMe SSD only if the performance of CPU and GPU is not being compromised.

It may not be overpriced like you said and the best performance for that price, but going over budget is going over budget.
I thought he wanted to keep it as cheap as possible and $700ish seems to be the price he was aiming at. Your system is now $140 over that. So having that GPU has gone over budget. Which means he can't have it, unless he wants more money, then if he wants to spend more money, I am sure other things can be upgraded to be better as well... It never stops until you go over budget and your system according to the OP is iver his $700 by quite a bit.
Although nice Ram find, as I stated, I just re-edited some of his original post without checking all the prices.

It may not be overpriced like you said and the best performance for that price, but going over budget is going over budget.
I thought he wanted to keep it as cheap as possible and $700ish seems to be the price he was aiming at. Your system is now $140 over that. So having that GPU has gone over budget. Which means he can't have it, unless he wants more money, then if he wants to spend more money, I am sure other things can be upgraded to be better as well... It never stops until you go over budget and your system according to the OP is iver his $700 by quite a bit.
Although nice Ram find, as I stated, I just re-edited some of his original post without checking all the prices.
The initial build he was planning was getting him up to $800. I went little above it if it was $700 then would have agreed with you. As it was $800 I am giving him best solution around that budget. Initially he was stretching his budget so the best suitable no compromise build is what I listed above. NO problem you provided a decent budget solution and I provided performance based solution. He has two paths to choose from.

Feb 26, 2019

OP

If the Windows 10 download is legit, then Yes, I'm definitely interested. I'm scouring the site, but can't find the offer. I appreciate all the advice I've been given, it's honestly in my weeks of research, the most help I've ever gotten. I'm hoping to start buying parts in the next few days. I'm just trying to make this first build, as painless as possible. I've read horror stories on PC Builds; Blue screens of death, Hard Freeze Locks, Issues with Drivers, etc. It's intimidating.

So if I sound skeptical on things, it's not out of malice, I admit this is a New Frontier to me. I'm ingorant, but I'm willing to learn.