[SOLVED] First time PC Build Questions

Jun 26, 2020
PC noob here. I haven't had a desktop PC since high school (many years ago), and have been using a gaming laptop, the MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro, for about 3-4 years now. The laptop is starting to fall apart (one hinge has completely broken off), and I've noticed that the performance is not as great as it used to be (probably due to poor care and ignorance on my part). While this laptop has and still does serve me well for both professional purposes, gaming, and web browsing, I figured it was time to upgrade to a desktop PC and start fresh. I want to build my own PC so I can have more personalization and a potential future for upgrades if need be. I've never done this before, so I have a few concerns. After deciding what level of performance I want and doing extensive research, I chose the following components:

CPU:
Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler:
Stock Fan

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X

MOBO:
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM:
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

PSU:
Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Storage:
Inland Premium 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case:
Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case

From my research, I feel confident this build will outperform my expectations and needs. My concerns are mainly in regard to caring for and protecting the components:
  1. I was curious if anyone knew how reliable of a PSU this might be, as I've seen very mixed reviews on it. Some people reported it dying quickly, and others reported perfect experiences. Of course, people who suffer bad experiences are far more likely to post about them than the good ones. But the last thing I want is to fry all my components, so I wanted to be sure. I believe the wattage should be plenty though.
  2. Will the stock fan for the CPU be enough? Once again, I've seen mixed reviews on this front. I don't intend to do anything like overclocking, which I don't fully understand anyways.
It's worth noting that this PC will be used for casual gaming across various games with my friends (and Cyberpunk 2077 when that finally comes out), professional uses such as CAD design programs, and web browsing. It will be on for fairly long periods of time. The build might be a bit overkill for what I want, but I figured it would be best to build something that will last me a decent amount of time without needing to push it too hard. It will definitely be a massive improvement over my current setup, so I want to make sure I maintain it properly this time. Feel free to share thoughts on the parts I didn't ask questions about, and roast me if I did something that makes you facepalm.

Note: I've already ordered the parts due to availability concerns and decent deals. I've also already gone a bit over my initial desired budget, so I don't really have too much more I can put into this build.

Solution
No facepalms. You should be fine.

I would have opted for a better power supply, but again, you should be fine. As you correctly pointed out. People with bad experiences tend to yell louder than those with good experiences.

The Ryzen 5 3600 does seem to have some temp issues, so I would monitor that rather often. When you get your system built and running, download and run CPUID HWMonitor from time to time to keep an eye on your temps.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
No facepalms. You should be fine.

I would have opted for a better power supply, but again, you should be fine. As you correctly pointed out. People with bad experiences tend to yell louder than those with good experiences.

The Ryzen 5 3600 does seem to have some temp issues, so I would monitor that rather often. When you get your system built and running, download and run CPUID HWMonitor from time to time to keep an eye on your temps.

-Wolf sends

Solution