CPU : i7 4790K
GPU : R9 390
PSU : BeQuiet 500W
RAM : 8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600
Mainboard : Asus Z97-AR
CPU-Cooler : Thermalright Macho X2

Please share your thoughts with me

Solution
That is almost the build I am aiming for.

That i7 4790k sounds really good and relatively overclockable by Intel standards, so you could have fun/tragedy with that and your custom CPU cooler ;).

The R9 390 is quite pricey but if you can afford it (not sure I can) then I reckon it is a solid buy. You might want to aim for a lower price point if you aren't gaming over 1080p though it will certainly last you for a while before you need to upgrade.

Motherboard looks good though I haven't really researched that one.

Are you getting a single slot of 8GB RAM? It is usually much better to get matching pairs.

That build should be quite a powerhouse, it looks like you should be able to do some 4K gaming though you won't be getting to Ultra...

Llamageddon

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
That is almost the build I am aiming for.

That i7 4790k sounds really good and relatively overclockable by Intel standards, so you could have fun/tragedy with that and your custom CPU cooler ;).

The R9 390 is quite pricey but if you can afford it (not sure I can) then I reckon it is a solid buy. You might want to aim for a lower price point if you aren't gaming over 1080p though it will certainly last you for a while before you need to upgrade.

Motherboard looks good though I haven't really researched that one.

Are you getting a single slot of 8GB RAM? It is usually much better to get matching pairs.

That build should be quite a powerhouse, it looks like you should be able to do some 4K gaming though you won't be getting to Ultra settings in any games and still keep a decent FPS. It gets my thumbs up for a very solid gaming PC by the looks of it.

Edit: Someone just pointed out on my thread that the i7 CPUs aren't really needed for gaming so you might want to consider a good i5 instead if that is your only concern.

You might want a more powerful PSU as well, the 390 draws 250W of power I think, so that is half gone right there, I'm sure you'd be well within limits but you might want some more wiggle room for future upgrades or whatnot.

Solution

DarthSyphilis

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Thank you for Your reply ;)

Maybe I should go for an overclockable i5...
The mainboard has 4 slots with 8GB RAM max. for each slot and the RAM i want to use is a single one with 8GB.
Do you think 8GB is enough for gaming?
Do you think 600W PSU should do the trick?

Llamageddon

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Glad I could offer some advice. I think 500W would be fine (checking your build on http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ will give you a rough guide to the wattage your build will draw) but I would personally go for a 600W PSU. It is worth investing in a good quality one from a reputable manufacturer, especially if you think you might be doing some overclocking and with that in mind it would be a shame to have to replace the PSU if Graphics cards in the future continue demanding more and more power. Even 600W probably wouldn't be enough if you wanted to go with crossfire/SLI in the future for instance.

I have forgotten all the technical details and reasons (it is to do with dual channels on the MB and bandwidth with the CPU) but if you want 8 GB of RAM it will run better with a matched pair of 4 GB, though the difference can be be too small to notice a lot of the time.

8 gigs is enough for gaming and really easy and cheap to double in the future if you ever need to. I haven't seen a game yet that recommends more than 8 gigs of RAM but I suspect they are just round the corner.

BTW, I am using a Corsair HX620W PSU and I must say I have been very pleased with it, there are lots of other options out there though and it might even be a bit dated by now. There are a few discussions on the forums about good PSUs that are relatively recent and would be able to tell you more.

DarthSyphilis

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Thank you for your advice (Y)
I'm new to forums and just wanted to give it a try... made good experience so far ;)
I'll check on the PSU discussions for further information about power usage etc.
My mainboard supports crossfire, so i'm thinking about a second GPU in the future.
I've chosen it to supprt SLI/crossfire and a total of 32GB RAM on DDR3 with all higher frequencies, because i want my build to last a couple of years.
I think you're right about the CPU, due to the fact that gaming will be a major aspect of this build.

Thank you again for your major advice ;)

TRENDING THREADS