ReillyGJ

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month

Budget Range: $1200

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and/or Amazon

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU (flexible on these)

Overclocking: Doubtful

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Looking to get at least a 23" monitor at 1080

Additional Comments: This PC will primarily be for gaming. As of now I play mainly Blizzard games (WoW and SC2) as well as some League. This is largely due to the fact I'm on a laptop that can't handle much more than this. I'm looking for a PC that will give me 60+ FPS at 1080P for the next two years with slightly more demanding games (DA: Origins, BF4, etc.) I've never attempted anything like this but it's always been something I've been interested in. While putting together a part list I've also ran into some decisions I could use some help with. See below, and thanks for any help provided!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qKfq99

CPU - Currently debating between i5 4460 and i5 4590. Since I'm not OCing these seem to be the best choices. Also, is a cooler necessary given that I'm not overclocking?

MOBO - This is the part I know the least about. I've learned that an H97 chipset would probably be best since I'm not OCing, but what I don't know is why I'd spend more than the $75 dollars for the ASRock H97 Anniversary?

Memory - Seems like 8GB is standard. Could maybe try and sqeeze 16GB in if that's something that may be required within two years.

Storage - Went with 1TB WD Blue. Would love an SSD, but not sure I could fit that in budget.

GPU - MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr. For what I'm playing now, a GTX 960 would probably suffice, but I'm hoping to not upgrade anything for at least two years. A 970 covers that.

Case - Corsair 300R. Looks cool and under $100. Open to other suggestions.

PSU - Corsair CX 600W. Cheap and decent reviews. Seen some negatives, but it seems to be a popular choice.

All together the PC this build alone is roughly $900. I'm not necessarily trying to spend less..I just want to be sure I'm spending money "correctly". I'd like to be around $1100-$1200 after display and OS. Thanks again for any input, and sorry for lengthy post!

Solution
The corsair CX is not a good PSU(cheap caps) and for $68 it's a ripoff.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($96.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair Carbide...
I feel the gtx 970 is overkill, and the gtx 960 is not the right choice because it has 2gb of ram and is the r9 280 is similar performance for less money.
I would recommend the r9 290x here because it's a super deal, you probably want a 700-750 watt PSU just to be safe.
232$ (link is dead sorry, might be troll)
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr9290x4gbd5tdhe
The nice thing about the 290 and 290x is they support freesync. Double check this.

CPU: both are good. You will have to decide based on budget. Stock coolers work just fine if you are not overclocking. For the usage you describe you should have no problem.
MOBO: get something cheap but with a lot of good reviews. Don't bother paying extra for features you won't use. H97 is good. Sometimes higher end mobos can be cheaper if you get a sale.
Memory: 8GB is good. You can always upgrade later if you need to and I doubt that you will.
Storage: Get an ssd if at all possible, its worth cutting back on other things to get one. The difference in observed performance is huge.
GPU: the GTX 970 is more than you need, but it's a great card. If you don't need Nvidia the R9 290(x) is at a pretty good price point.

bignastyid

Titan
The corsair CX is not a good PSU(cheap caps) and for $68 it's a ripoff.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($96.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($57.02 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($92.00 @ B&H)
Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($138.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1154.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-29 16:57 EST-0500

Solution

ReillyGJ

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Thank you for the great suggestions! (that goes to other posters as well). My next question is regarding case selection and fans. Is it advisable to buy additional fans given that I'm not overclocking or anything? I believe the Corsair 300R includes a front and rear 120mms. I was also considering the NZXT S340 due to the great price/reviews, but that one doesn't include front fans at all (just one top and one rear). Is this sufficient enough?? Thanks again for any insight.

TRENDING THREADS