[SOLVED] First Time PC Builder - Lots of Lights, No Booting

Jan 20, 2019
Hey all,

First time builder here. I'm doing a partial external boot before packing everything and can't get anything on screen. I have lights coming on and fans spinning (see attached pictures) but that's it.

Link to Pics: https://imgur.com/a/BVgYYD4

My Build:

• ■Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB
    ■CPU: Intel Core I7-9700K
    ■CPU Cooler: MasterLiquid ML24OR - Fans spinning, no lights
    ■Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi - Lights up
    ■Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600
    ■Memory - Lights up Storage: Samsung 860 500 GB SSD Storage: Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
    ■Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB - Lights up
    ■PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Modular ATX - Fan is spinning

Link to parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4H33XP

As mentioned, there are lights on and fans spinning depending on what it is. All advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Solution
do you have your monitor plugged into the GPU when trying to boot? also if that doesn't work try pulling the GPU and plugging the monitor into the back of the MB just to get a display, trying to isolate if there is a problem. also I'd advise you to read the MB owners manual when you can, good info in there. anyhow report back
1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector

All three need to be connected. You don't have the 4-pin ATX 12V power connector connected.

It is possible to use a 4-pin P4 cable in the 8-pin ATX connector using pins 1,2,5,6.

Jan 20, 2019

Hi Calvin,

I did what you said and put a 4 pin into the open slot on the CPU but the screen's still dark, so there's still something else as well. Thank you for the CPU advice.

do you have your monitor plugged into the GPU when trying to boot? also if that doesn't work try pulling the GPU and plugging the monitor into the back of the MB just to get a display, trying to isolate if there is a problem. also I'd advise you to read the MB owners manual when you can, good info in there. anyhow report back

Solution
Jan 20, 2019

Hi Norcalsc,

I should've mentioned this in the post - I removed the GPU last night and tried with just the MB. Same result. At this point I'm thinking it's a hardware issue based on what I've read. Not sure on most efficient method to approach now.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Long shot, but have you got a warning about motherboard needing an update? Did you check the compatibility list? Motherboards tends to not start up with incompatible CPU's. Also, if you can find a speaker/or have one tell us if it beeps, and what does it beep up. A single beep means it's OK on the startup.