[SOLVED] First time putting together a PC. Questions about components

ramialtamimi1602

Prominent
Oct 21, 2018
Hey guys!

I am currently putting together my new gaming rig by myself and therefore I have some questions. I'm just gonna clear up potential questions about what I am going to play and on which res on this PC. The PC may be a bit overkill for what I am going to use it for - mainly games such as CS:GO, Call Of Duty MW, League of Legends, Forza Horizon, F1 etc. but I'd like to have a future-proof computer that I can play any game on without having to worry about whether my computer can handle it on 144hz or not. It is mainly going to be 1080p gaming but I will definitely get into 1440p gaming down the line.

The pc build I have in mind right now:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Strix B450-F
G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz CL16 2x8 gb
Intel 660p M.2 NVME 1 TB SSD
MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio
Corsair ML120 Pro + ML140 Pro
Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold
NZXT H510

My questions are:
1. I've looked everywhere about whether the B450-F from Asus supports more than 3200mhz ram but I can't find a definite answer. I've seen a lot of builds with it where people have used more than the max 3200 mhz ram set by Asus. Is this possible?

2. Since I am overclocking the Ryzen 5 3600, should I dump the stock wraith stealth cooler and go for an AIO? I am currently inbetween buying the Ryzen 5 3600 + an AIO (presumably the X52 Kraken or the H100 platinum from Corsair) or upgrade to the Ryzen 7 3700x and stick with the wraith prism cooler since I've heard it can handle temps pretty good under load on overclock. The price I'd have to pay for the Ryzen 5 + AIO will be the same as getting the Ryzen 7 3700x anyways. What is the wisest choice?

3. I haven't ever put a PC parts list together by myself before so I'm pretty clueless about whether the 650 watt PSU will be enough. Is it enough or should I upgrade to the 750 watt instead?

4. Any suggestions or improvements to my build? I don't really have a budget but I don't wanna spend more than necessary since I am looking at a new car at the moment.

Thank you and good day to you all :)

Solution
1. The B450-F supports a max of 3466*mhz. I'd swap it to the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX which ships with a updated BIOS to support the 3600 (the B450-F may not) and it also support 3600mhz memory. EDIT: I did double check the spec page and it states up to 4400mhz on the Overview but 3466 on specs page...

2. You don't need a AIO, mid to higher end air cooling would be plenty enough for a overclock, quieter and probably cheaper. That being said if the 3600+ aftermarket cooling comes out to be close to the 3700X then just grab the 3700X/Stock cooler.

3. That 650W unit is plenty and is good quality, no worries.

4. The build looks good. The additional fans you...

WildCard999

Titan
1. The B450-F supports a max of 3466*mhz. I'd swap it to the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX which ships with a updated BIOS to support the 3600 (the B450-F may not) and it also support 3600mhz memory. EDIT: I did double check the spec page and it states up to 4400mhz on the Overview but 3466 on specs page...

2. You don't need a AIO, mid to higher end air cooling would be plenty enough for a overclock, quieter and probably cheaper. That being said if the 3600+ aftermarket cooling comes out to be close to the 3700X then just grab the 3700X/Stock cooler.

4. The build looks good. The additional fans you have...are those replacing the existing ones in the case? If so then you may want to add two fans in the front for intake, I did that on my NZXT H500 as the intake is lacking a little bit.

Solution
I'd go with the 3700 and the Wraith Spire cooler. the 8 cores/16 threads will serve you better in modern games that are built for 8 core PS/XBox ssystems

shouldn't have any trouble with the ram, just have to set the XMP profile in BIOS

650W should be plenty for the build unless yo're going gung-ho on the RGB and Water Cooling.

ramialtamimi1602

Prominent
Oct 21, 2018

4. The build looks good. The additional fans you have...are those replacing the existing ones in the case? If so then you may want to add two fans in the front for intake, I did that on my NZXT H500 as the intake is lacking a little bit.
I thought that I'd swap out the 2 120mm NZXT case fans with the ml120 pro and ml140. I could put the 2 case fans in the front since they're getting swapped out anyways. Wouldn't that be a good idea?

WildCard999

Titan
I thought that I'd swap out the 2 120mm NZXT case fans with the ml120 pro and ml140. I could put the 2 case fans in the front since they're getting swapped out anyways. Wouldn't that be a good idea?
As long as you have something in the front as intake you'll be fine. If you see the first pic of my pcper link I ended up using all 4 slots. The top/rear are exhaust while the two in the front (right) are setup as intake.

ramialtamimi1602

Prominent
Oct 21, 2018
I'd go with the 3700 and the Wraith Spire cooler. the 8 cores/16 threads will serve you better in modern games that are built for 8 core PS/XBox ssystems

shouldn't have any trouble with the ram, just have to set the XMP profile in BIOS

650W should be plenty for the build unless yo're going gung-ho on the RGB and Water Cooling.
The ram, gpu, the 2 ML-fans, motherboard and the wraith prism cooler (I am going with the Ryzen 7 3700x) all have RGB lighting built in them. Would that affect the power wattage or are we talking RGB strips etc.?

ramialtamimi1602

Prominent
Oct 21, 2018
As long as you have something in the front as intake you'll be fine. If you see the first pic of my pcper link I ended up using all 4 slots. The top/rear are exhaust while the two in the front (right) are setup as intake.
Ah, I see. I'll go for the Ryzen 7 3700x with the stock cooler and install the 2 included case fans as front intake. Also going for the MSI Tomahawk instead if it means faster ram speed. It's cheaper too which is a plus. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Stay safe!

WildCard999

Titan
Your welcome, stay safe as well!

I think I'm going to reach out to Asus to see why they listed 4400mhz but in specs it says 3466. I'm interested as I do own this board and if it does have improved speeds I'd like to know when I upgrade to 32gb and 4th gen...

TRENDING THREADS