Question First Time Setting Up Wifi - Advice Needed

Sep 22, 2019
So as stated in the title, I am trying to set up the wifi connection on my modem/router for the first time, and since I'm a complete noob when it comes to wifi, I was hoping I could get some advice here.

What I've done so far is go into:

Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center>Set Up a New Connection or Network>Manually Connect to a Wireless Network and put in the information there from the sticker on my modem/router.

When I finish that, it says it connects successfully, but I'm a bit confused because when I click on the network tab on the right side of the task bar, my SSID name isn't listed in the available network connections; and also when I go into Network Connections in the Control Panel it lists Ethernet and Wi-Fi
but there's a red X on the Wi-Fi, which I assume means it isn't connected properly. So have I done something wrong or are there other steps I have to take to get it set up? I would really appreciate any help.

Here's my information:
Desktop PC: Lenovo Ideacentre 710-25ISH
Modem/Router: CenturyLink 802.1 1n Wifi Router, Model # C1100T
Motherboard: Lenovo, Model # 3642

I'm not sure how to find the driver version for Windows 10, or the Power Supply and USB or PCI Wifi Adapter that I have, but if they're needed and you could tell me exactly where and what I need to look for, I'd be happy to do so.

As for the devices that I plan to have connected to the modem/router, that would be my PC, 1 tablet, a Blu-Ray player and a smart TV.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS