[SOLVED] First time setup with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, MSI B550 and Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

guttel

Prominent
Jul 19, 2021
Hello!

I'm currently building a new PC rig with the following components, which I have ready:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM, SSD etc..
I have also bought the retail version of Windows 10 (comes as a USB)

It seems like the motherboard needs a BIOS flash, as the bios is older than the processor? It's my understanding that I'll just have to follow a guide and flash the motherboard with a USB. My questions is: In what order should I perform this? Should I install Windows 10 before or after the BIOS flash? Should the CPU be mounted before I flash BIOS?

I'm somewhat unsure about the correct order in which to do these steps. Any tips would be gladly appreciated!

Solution
I am unfamiliar with "set memory XM", could you elaborate?

How would I make sure that my C drive for Windows is partitioned with GPT? I have bought a new SSD (WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 SSD). Is it possible to partition the SSD through the BIOS settings?

Memory XMP profiles are set in the BIOS so the memory runs at it's advertised speed. For instance some DDR4 3200mhz cas14 ram defaults to DDR4 2400mhz @ cas16 and only runs at it's advertised speed of 3200mhz @ cas14 when the XMP profile is activated in the BIOS.

When you install Windows among the first few items you decide on during Windows setup is where Windows will be installed. At the same time you select the location (in your case the WD Black SN750) you also select the...
MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS has supported the 5600x since bios v14 issued Nov 2020...unless you bought the board a long time ago the bios should support the 5600x out of the box.

I would install the CPU, flash to the latest BIOS, then set memory XMP and boot drive options, and finally install Windows last.

Also would be a good idea to make sure your C drive for Windows is partitioned with GPT so you'll be ready for Win11 down the road.

guttel

Prominent
Jul 19, 2021
MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS has supported the 5600x since bios v14 issued Nov 2020...unless you bought the board a long time ago the bios should support the 5600x out of the box.

I would install the CPU, flash to the latest BIOS, then set memory XMP and boot drive options, and finally install Windows last.

Also would be a good idea to make sure your C drive for Windows is partitioned with GPT so you'll be ready for Win11 down the road.

I just bought the board, so it seems the 5600x should be supported then.

How would I make sure that my C drive for Windows is partitioned with GPT? I have bought a new SSD (WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 SSD). Is it possible to partition the SSD through the BIOS settings?

Memory XMP profiles are set in the BIOS so the memory runs at it's advertised speed. For instance some DDR4 3200mhz cas14 ram defaults to DDR4 2400mhz @ cas16 and only runs at it's advertised speed of 3200mhz @ cas14 when the XMP profile is activated in the BIOS.

When you install Windows among the first few items you decide on during Windows setup is where Windows will be installed. At the same time you select the location (in your case the WD Black SN750) you also select the partition type...that is where you will want to option the drive for GPT partitioning instead of the older MBR option which will not be supported by Windows 11.

The NVME drive should not require any options to be set in the BIOS...anything there should already be on auto which is fine.

Here's a really solid video on setting up a PC if you're not familiar with the steps.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwjISmkEJM

The portion of this video I linked at the 2:15 time stamp shows how to convert the disk to GPT if you have an error during install...
View: https://youtu.be/UeEWnXmgyO4?t=138

Last edited:
Solution

guttel

Prominent
Jul 19, 2021

When you install Windows among the first few items you decide on during Windows setup is where Windows will be installed. At the same time you select the location (in your case the WD Black SN750) you also select the partition type...that is where you will want to option the drive for GPT partitioning instead of the older MBR option which will not be supported by Windows 11.

The NVME drive should not require any options to be set in the BIOS...anything there should already be on auto which is fine.

Here's a really solid video on setting up a PC if you're not familiar with the steps.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwjISmkEJM

The portion of this video I linked at the 2:15 time stamp shows how to convert the disk to GPT if you have an error during install...
View: https://youtu.be/UeEWnXmgyO4?t=138

Many thanks for your well written response. This is very helpful. Thanks for you reply. I should be able to figure this out.
I bought the Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB (2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL16 XMP 2.0), so it seems I have to look out for the XMP profile in the BIOS settings.

Thanks again!

ieres

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
For anyone interested. I had similar issue, actually 3 issues. I was trying to use 5600X on B550 motherboard, mine was ITX version. It needed BIOS update (took it to a PC repair shop and paid around 15€). And after that it still didn't give picture although it did give picture in repair shop. I moved all components from old case to new and they all worked fine before so I couldn't figure what was wrong. Turns out I used riser cable that was PCI-E 3.0 with PCI-E 4.0 GPU and MOBO. So I unplugged card from MOBO and booted with new updated BIOS and just the RAM and CPU connected and I entered BIOS (changed support on riser cable from automatic to PCI-E 3.0) and connected everything back and still nothing. I simply reset CMOS after that (3-5 sec is enough) and it all started working :) Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.