Question first time to VR, some questions

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi, I am interested in VR glasses for PC
however, I found that the price range could be very large for a pair of VR glasses for PC.
What's the major difference between a cheaper one and a more expensive one?

Wolfshadw

Titan
There are a number of differences between the various headsets. If you're looking at gaming in VR, then the first thing you need to know is if the game(s) you're interested in is even supported by the headset you want to purchase. Now I use Steam to keep an eye on what is new and available for VR headsets and Steam does a decent job of tracking what headset can be used for each game. They break it down into three groups:

Oculus Rift
HTC Vive
Windows Mixed Reality

For both Oculus and HTC, their headsets are their primary focus. These are also the more expensive headsets, but they have dedicated support teams in house. The Windows Mixed Reality sets have hardware developed by a multitude of developers; all working on the premise that Microsoft will maintain development for their Mixed Reality realm. However, if Microsoft decides it's just not the right time (i.e. they're not making enough money from it), they could pull the plug at any moment (just like Windows Media Center or any Windows XP supported Hardware).

The other major difference is that both the Rift and the Vive (and variations of) also require external sensors (included in the price) to track you in a 3D space. The Windows Mixed Reality hand controllers have the 3D tracking sensors built in. Not having used either the Rift or Vive, I can't say which set up is better.

I looked at it this way: If you're not entirely sure about VR, then I would consider the cheaper solution just so I could get an idea of what it's like. If that convinced me, then I would go ahead and then make the more expensive purchase. If you're absolutely sure about VR, then I would definitely recommend on of the more expensive head sets (Rift/Vive variants).

-Wolf sends

Reactions: brannsiu

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
There are a number of differences between the various headsets. If you're looking at gaming in VR, then the first thing you need to know is if the game(s) you're interested in is even supported by the headset you want to purchase. Now I use Steam to keep an eye on what is new and available for VR headsets and Steam does a decent job of tracking what headset can be used for each game. They break it down into three groups:

Oculus Rift
HTC Vive
Windows Mixed Reality

For both Oculus and HTC, their headsets are their primary focus. These are also the more expensive headsets, but they have dedicated support teams in house. The Windows Mixed Reality sets have hardware developed by a multitude of developers; all working on the premise that Microsoft will maintain development for their Mixed Reality realm. However, if Microsoft decides it's just not the right time (i.e. they're not making enough money from it), they could pull the plug at any moment (just like Windows Media Center or any Windows XP supported Hardware).

The other major difference is that both the Rift and the Vive (and variations of) also require external sensors (included in the price) to track you in a 3D space. The Windows Mixed Reality hand controllers have the 3D tracking sensors built in. Not having used either the Rift or Vive, I can't say which set up is better.

I looked at it this way: If you're not entirely sure about VR, then I would consider the cheaper solution just so I could get an idea of what it's like. If that convinced me, then I would go ahead and then make the more expensive purchase. If you're absolutely sure about VR, then I would definitely recommend on of the more expensive head sets (Rift/Vive variants).

-Wolf sends

Thanks. I am not entirely sure about VR. In fact, I am purchasing for watching 3D videos, instead of gaming, which one is for me? can
be purchased on US Amazon?

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're just looking for a 3D/VR experience (and not so much games), then I'd probably recommend any of the Windows Mixed Reality units. Here's what I found on Amazon. I use an earlier version of the Lenovo Explorer (picked up for less than half this cost), but any of these would work for you.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Oh! and there is a System Compatibility checker on Steam that will test to see if your system is up to specs: SteamVR Performance Check