[SOLVED] First time trying to swap out Motherboard.

dahypersqurl96

Commendable
Aug 15, 2018
(This post also got posted from my other account that I am trying to have deleted for reasons. Just in case you see a double.)

I have an Acer Aspire e5-573g-52g3, I went ahead and threw better ram and an SSD in it to improve performance (first time having an SSD, I will never go back!). It has the I5 processor on the Motherboard with the GeForce graphics card (I assume it is on the motherboard, I do not know. I'm new to messing with hardware).

An almost identical model of this laptop is the Acer Aspire E5-575-79EP, which has an I7 in it, (however it is only 2.50 gh). So what I am wondering is if I want to upgrade the processor I know I cant just pull it and swap it, so would swapping the Motherboard be a good option? Is there a way to know if a motherboard from that laptop will work? I have seen the Motherboard of the I7 for relatively cheap on Ebay. I know since this isn't a built laptop I am limited, but what are my other options for getting a more speedy processor?

Side Quest:
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the GeForce to a higher rated gpu in this machine?

Solution

IF it actually fits, you're almost certainly looking at a whole wipe and reinstall.
A new motherboard is not just plug and play, regarding the OS.

Looks like it should work. But you won't know until you try it. That's a lot of money and time wasted.

I'll put it to you this way, Acer is really not a great laptop, the cheaper line anyway. In that sense I don't see much reason to keep investing in it.
Second thing, let's break it down. i7 sounds great, but is it?
The logic board that you're talking about features a 2 core + 2 hyperthread cpu @2.5ghz => boost 3.1ghz
Your current logic board has an i5 with 2cores (no HT) @2.2ghz => boost 2.7ghz.
Even by this comparison I feel like it's too much work and gamble. Other components in your current model may not fit/connect with new board. And the performance difference is meh. Yeah it's better... But meh. There are other versions of i7 for laptops with 4cores, now that would be worth it.

If you really want performance, spend 550~650$ on a PC tower. It'll outshine the laptop any day

dahypersqurl96

Commendable
Aug 15, 2018
Kiss-method there are 2 i7 boards. One is 2.5 and the other is 2.7. The 2.5 would be unnoticeable, but I think the 2.7ghz would be a nice upgrade. Is there a way to know if they would plug and play? And would swapping out a mobo affect my machine as far as the OS and everything saved? I assume not, but things aren't always as simple as they seem

dahypersqurl96

Commendable
Aug 15, 2018
Ps before I get more messages about it, I know some may think I'm trying to polish a turd, and I understand your side of it and know I could get a tower for cheaper but I don't have a permanent gaming spot, so for the sake of trying to accomplish what I put in the original post let's just move on knowing that I know and understand this view. Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

IF it actually fits, you're almost certainly looking at a whole wipe and reinstall.
A new motherboard is not just plug and play, regarding the OS.

Solution
There really is no way of actually knowing. It would seem that it's an exact laptop with different specs.

Don't hold me to it. But if it were me doing this and I really wanted to do it... I'd find both of the boards online and compare the physical design closely. After that, I'd call up Acer and ask if it's a viable replacement.

You'll have to install new windows and get a new windows license. It won't transfer over.

Sorry but all I found is a dual core 2.5ghz with your model number, even you said in your initial post that it's a 2.5 and now .7

Anyway. There isn't anything else to say, you won't get a yes or no answer here.

Good luck

dahypersqurl96

Commendable
Aug 15, 2018
So my best bet would be to have a new install of windows on a USB for the first time I boot.? Installing windows will be a first as well. If anyone wanted to provide some literature on it I'll read up, and would really appreciate it. When I try to look it up it is info overload of different ways to do it and I get lost, honestly.

USAFRet

Titan

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10
However, you WILL run into licensing/activation issues.

Swapping laptop motherboards is not for the faint hearted.

dahypersqurl96

Commendable
Aug 15, 2018

Will I run into problems if I purchase a new Windows key?

USAFRet

Titan

For the OS, no. If you buy a valid OS license.
For the physical parts swapping, completely unknown.

Have you considered just selling the current laptop and buying one that suits your needs?

last thing to consider that should have been mentioned prior.... going from one logic board to a higher performing one will also increase power consumption, you'll also have to worry if you will have sufficient power delivery.

you don't need windows prepared for first boot. yes you will need it, and if you have access to another pc, you can take care of it after. You need to see if it will turn on, that would be first step, then worry about windows, then testing.

just to mention, there are also many ITX builds, which are basically portable desktops.