First time Ubuntu user!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_2378

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I am going to be trying out Ubuntu because I don't feel like spending $100 for Windows 7. Since I have never used this OS I have some questions.

1. Can I run Microsoft Office. I know there are other free versions similar to MO but I'm still in college and the format is usually off with the other programs.

2. This will be going into a new pc build. Will my hardware be compatible with Ubuntu. Will I be able to download drivers from the web for my hardware.

3. Will antiviruses such as AVG, AVAST, and Norton's work with Ubuntu.

4. Will games such as Black Ops, Battlefield, Dirt 3, and other window games work with Ubuntu.

5. Finally, please explain why not to the questions above and how to fix the problem.

Thanks

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Let's try another analogy.

Don Mafioso, exclusive distributor of fine narcotics, very generously opened up the Don Mafioso and son's free soup kitchen for drug addicts.

Would you call that charity? Or would you call that a public relations stunt?

Getting obscenely rich in part by adding to the oppression and misery of the world's poorest and then patting yourself on the back for your generosity just doesn't cut it for me.

You might feel differently if you knew the numbers. $28 billion donated by 2007 for example. I'm not sure what proportion of his wealth that is, but I thought $28 billion actually was the size of his fortune. He's said that when he's done, 95% of the money he made will be given to charity. So Don Mafioso just gave back 95% of that narcotics money. How about that.

That's also the first time I've seen an operating system compared to cocaine... which drug is Linux?

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

If he puts that 5% into a fund that returns 10% annually he would still have $2.5 million dollars a day spending money without ever touching the principle. Oh the torture!!!

He's a changed man, bully for him. He chooses what he does with the money that he gained through predatory practices that oppressed poor people. And his company still uses those predatory practices. Now, if he were to donate his money to a blind trust that distributes it anonymously with the sole instruction being to try and address the wrongs he committed, apologize for those wrongs and never do them again then I might consider him a human being after all.

That's also the first time I've seen an operating system compared to cocaine... which drug is Linux?

Ambrosia.

Haha wow... there's a lot of hatred in your posts. You've made some ridiculous statements, for example that children are going hungry because they can't afford a new computer - run that one by me again? I get that you're angry, and I know Africa is a mess. But I think your anger is misdirected. I'd be more inclined to blame kill-crazy psychopath dictators and warlords like Idi Amin than a billionaire computer nerd like Bill Gates.

To paint Mark Shuttleworth as the great philanthropist whilst Bill Gates is the evil one is plain ridiculous. Shuttleworth paid $20 million to take a trip into space. How many starving children in Africa would that have saved, or how many computers could it have bought?

Ubuntu is a great OS, as is Windows, but don't fool yourself that the people behind it aren't making a fortune. It's just a different marketing model. And Microsoft have given a lot of free or very low-cost software to developing countries and to students. They also have a great record for charitable giving (as opposed to Apple, for example).

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

It's not hatred, if Bill Gates were to up and die today I won't be in the streets doing a jig (like I did when Mobutu died and will when Kagame and Mugabe die). As to the starving kids. If you take books away from schools will that have a positive or negative effect? Microsoft's predatory practices put millions of kids at an increased learning disadvantage. They put small businesses at an increased disadvantage. Government bodies at an increased disadvantage. I've seen WWI, not WWII, I, vintage typewriters in use at the governor's building. Don't you think any of that would lead to hungry children?

Better philanthropist than Jobs anyway.

And you know that how? What if Jobs was dropping billions here and there without saying anything? Some people are like that. Christians are supposed to be like that, read Mathew 6. Gates foundation has a nice PR department making sure you know what a great guy he is. I don't object to the work of the Gates foundation, the people working there do good things. My objection is imagining that Bill Gates is a philanthropist when he spends pocket change (for him) with trumpets blaring while his company continues the predatory practices. "I FREED MY SLAVES!!!! Then I bought new ones."

To paint Mark Shuttleworth as the great philanthropist whilst Bill Gates is the evil one is plain ridiculous. Shuttleworth paid $20 million to take a trip into space. How many starving children in Africa would that have saved, or how many computers could it have bought?

I simply pointed out the why of Ubuntu's existence. Gates, like Shuttleworth, are free to spend their money however they want. Africa doesn't need charity as much as it needs obstacles removed. Microsoft is one such obstacle. Bad governments another which computers could help alleviate. Shuttleworth is not.

Here's some trivia for you. Ubuntu means for humanity in a South African language. Where I am it means the ancestors that look over and protect us. I kinda like that.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Steve Jobs is Buddhist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Philanthropy

Arik Hesseldahl of BusinessWeek magazine stated that "Jobs isn't widely known for his association with philanthropic causes", compared to Bill Gates's efforts.[151] In contrast to Gates, Jobs did not sign the Giving Pledge of Warren Buffett which challenged the world's richest billionaires to give at least half their wealth to charity.[152] In an interview with Playboy in 1985, Jobs said in respect to money that "the challenges are to figure out how to live with it and to reinvest it back into the world which means either giving it away or using it to express your concerns or values."[153] Jobs also added that when he has some time we would start a public foundation but for now he does charitable acts privately.[154]

After resuming control of Apple in 1997, Jobs eliminated all corporate philanthropy programs initially.[155] Jobs's friends told The New York Times that he felt that expanding Apple would have done more good than giving money to charity.[156] Later, under Jobs, Apple signed to participate in Product Red program, producing red versions of devices to give profits from sales to charity. Apple has gone on to become the largest contributor to the charity since its initial involvement with it. The chief of the Product Red project, singer Bono cited Jobs saying there was "nothing better than the chance to save lives", when he initially approached Apple with the invitation to participate in the program.[157] Through its sales, Apple has been the largest contributor to Product Red's gift to the Global Fund, which fights AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, according to Bono.[158][159]

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Buddhism is cool, some great philosophy there. Kinda like Hindu as well, one God but many manifestations so they accept the Jesus could be just another manifestation, ie they don't reject other religions out of hand. That's something other religions could learn from, religions are people's faith and nobody can say their faith is correct and all the others wrong. I have a Hindu friend here puts up Christmas decorations in his home. Interestingly enough most if not all religions have some version of the golden rule in it's teachings.

Sorry but I'm not sure what your point is? 'Steve Jobs is a Buddhist.' is a statement. Is your point something to do with philanthropy in Buddhism? I don't know much about their beliefs or values so maybe you could enlighten me :)

That is a good point actually. Maybe the best solution is for them to buy used. You did find a couple of computer manufacturers in your other thread though that provide systems without Windows installed.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

For schools the best option so far is to take the crap that gets donated (when's the last time you saw 95 installed on a computer?) and install a thin server on one decent new computer. Not perfect but better than nothing. It would be nice if donated computers get tested before coming. I'm going to try one of those windowsless providers first chance I get but it would be much nicer if we didn't have to go through the extra hoops and get mainline manufacturers to offer less expensive OS free systems.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

When you become enlightened then you can obtain Nirvana but first you must purify yourself. Begin by eliminating Microsoft products from your life. :ange:

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

The way he wrote his statement (see earlier post) implies that Steve Jobs is Christian.

Haha, good luck with that.

Why even bother with Dell etc? Surely the smaller companies put less profit margin on their systems anyway? I'd stick with the ones recommended and forget Dell. As for Windows 95, surely the most important thing is simply that kids can access the Internet? I know Windows 95 is dated and ugly by modern standards, but you can still get online with it.

Also, can you buy Raspberry Pi there? I think one of its goals was affordable computers for the third world. I spent £30 (£50 with the accessories) and I have a silent computer with tiny power consumption that does everything a full-sized Linux PC could do.

LOL... nope. Most importantly I'm a gamer, and also from time to time I like to connect my phone to my computer to transfer photos, music etc. I also kinda like how I've been using Windows 7 for three years now and haven't come across a single bug or glitch. In three years I've seen it blue screen twice - once due to AMD graphics drivers and once due to a Flash update. So I'm feeling my £70 was pretty well-spent! That's certainly not to say I don't appreciate Linux though - I have both installed.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I would prefer to put a secure modern browser and a secure modern kernel onto the computer - that means Linux, of course.

Raspberry Pis are designed to teach programming to little people and to be used for little inventive hacks, like modding a Roomba (robotic vacuum cleaner) to record video and respond to a playstation controller while vaccuming.

Haha I'm pretty sure it was you who was telling me exactly how much "designed for" actually counts for anything :) It's simply an ARM-based system you can run Linux on (or Unix, Android, RiscOS etc), like you run Ubuntu on your tablet. I hook up a monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard and I have a computer. I can program with it (same as I can on my main computer) but I don't have to.

EDIT: And preferences are fine, but this is starving kids in Africa we're talking about. I think they're probably less in need of preferences and more in need of the essentials.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
It was not my intention to imply Jobs was Christian, only to give an example of how in at least one case a religion demands that charity be done privately.
When old computers are used as thin clients all that is used is the keyboard, mouse monitor and modem, all the processing is done on he master. Unless you need he storage space you could even remove the hard drive. You wouldn't want to do any video processing or gaming but a computer with 4gbs of ram can easily run ten copies of libreoffice.

Maybe we should start a ne thread, "Microsoft, evil empire or misunderstood gentle giant?"

Or perhaps just "Microsoft, software company".

Life is not so black and white. That people in Africa lack computers is hardly the fault of a software company. Computers do not have to be sold with Microsoft software included (several examples have already been cited in this thread as sources of "bare" computers - I, for one, never buy a PC that includes an operating system; with Macs I have no choice), but Microsoft do sell their software to manufacturers at very attractive prices. Would it help Africa if they charged more?

The choice of operating system has been with us for many years. Linux and Windows both have their place; choose the one that suits you best. The real scandal is the situation where some of the world's biggest hardware companies are using what amounts to little more than slave labour to produce their shiny gadgets and we in the West are encouraged to throw away those gadgets and buy the newest model every year.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that Microsoft has third-world sweatshops producing their code.

+1 to that. People seem to have a tendency to anthropomorphise these huge corporations as if they can be boiled down into a single person/personality. AMD is the classic example - seen by the legions of fanboys as some poor, defenceless wounded animal taking a kicking from Intel and nVidia. They fail to consider that this is still a vast corporation making billions and with more wealth, power and influence than they could ever dream of having.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Drug? Linux ?? Linux = cod liver oil .... for those of you old enough to have worried about vitamin-D during the 1940-1950(s) winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.