Status
Not open for further replies.

orion_o

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
Hello.. first post here. :)

So i've recently bought a new mobo, B450 aorus elite and im having some usb issues that i'd like to resolve.
Issue #1) Whenever im trying to run a win7 os on it, any USB peripherals (mouse/keyboard) wont work. They stop working right when the windows logo appears. So i was forced to install win10 from then on.
Issue #2) Tried to solve issue #1 with using a ps2-to-usb adapter but that didnt work aswell (doesnt work entirely). I'm aware i need to reboot the system after plugging in a device on that port, and i've done so, yet i still get no input from it.

So therefor i've decided to update my BIOS. Looked in the website for my model and it seems the latest update (F5) has 'impruved USB capabilities'. Downloaded the file and i put it on my USB stick but in the bios screen i dont see anything regarding bios update. I see Q-flash which says i have no devices plugged or something like that.. so how do i do it? Also my currect bios version is F2 if it matters.

Long story short, i want to solve these 2 issues that i have and i hope the bios update would help. So can you guide me with fixing the issues and how to update?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
The bios I started with need to be upgraded to the F42a but it says on the bios details on the website to go from the lowest of the 3 new ones to get the latest working.

Download the zip files and unzip, one at a time, when unzipped remove the files (no folder) and select update bios in bios menu.

I did not have any issues.

The dimm compatibility tool just download it unzip the folder and update bios, if you have issues then update it.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your
motherboard model.
2. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file (e.g. X79UD7.F1) to your USB flash drive or hard drive. Note:
The USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.
3. Restart the system. During the POST, press the <End> key to enter Q-Flash. Note: You can access Q-Flash
by either pressing the <End> key during the POST or pressing the <F8> key in BIOS Setup. However, if the
BIOS update file is saved to a hard drive in RAID/AHCI mode or a hard drive attached to an independent
SATA controller, use the <End> key during the POST to access Q-Flash.
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, please do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may
result in system malfunction.

Make you your USB drive is fat32

orion_o

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
Now i understand why i couldnt see the bios file inside the bios, because i was formatting my usb stick into NTFS some time ago..

Ok so i got my file in my other usb drive now but before i update the bios, it gives me the option to save my current bios into my usb drive, so i'd like to do that just in case there will be some errors while i update my new bios.
So i was letting it save the current bios i have (F2) into a folder on my usb drive, then when i was going on windows to check if it was there, i couldnt see it for some reason.
Im not much of a risk taker so i'd like to have that bios backed up in case i screw my machine with a bad bios update. why wouldnt it properly save my F2 version on my usb drive?

Last edited:
Although Windows 7 in not officially supported by Microsoft for AM4, Gigabyte provide a Windows USB Installation Tool in Utilities Downloads.
(Note) Support AMD X470/B450 series motherboards.

BIOS update does not solve the lack of USB operation in Windows 7.

Reactions: Banned by Net

orion_o

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
Are you trying to use your peripherals in a USB 2.0 or 3.0 slot? Win 7 requires drivers for 3.0, to be installed. Try using the USB 2.0 slots.

I have tried both usb 2.0 and 3.0 indeed. In fact i have just tested it again, reinstalling win7 on a hard drive i had for backup purposes.. When my pc rebooted to complete the installation i had no keyboard/mouse control (i first need to type the pc username and pw) so at this stage im stuck and the only way to do this is to connect the hard drive into another pc that doesnt have this issue (as in an older motherboard).

Although Windows 7 in not officially supported by Microsoft for AM4, Gigabyte provide a Windows USB Installation Tool in Utilities Downloads.
(Note) Support AMD X470/B450 series motherboards.

Im not sure i understand what you're saying... Gigabyte provides what? Can you direct me to that tool please?

BIOS update does not solve the lack of USB operation in Windows 7.

Good to know (altho i still have problems with it), so i wont be trying it then.

--------

I guess the only issue i have now is to operate a ps2-to-usb adapter then, which i have but it doesnt seem to work (bought several off ebay).

Aug 24, 2019
From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your
motherboard model.
2. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file (e.g. X79UD7.F1) to your USB flash drive or hard drive. Note:
The USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.
3. Restart the system. During the POST, press the <End> key to enter Q-Flash. Note: You can access Q-Flash
by either pressing the <End> key during the POST or pressing the <F8> key in BIOS Setup. However, if the
BIOS update file is saved to a hard drive in RAID/AHCI mode or a hard drive attached to an independent
SATA controller, use the <End> key during the POST to access Q-Flash.
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, please do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may
result in system malfunction.

Make you your USB drive is fat32
Hi i have one question i have same mobo b450 auros elite and my bios version is F5 and out is 6 new bios updates does i need put on usb stick only bios update or need put 2 additional files which come in zip autexec.bat and efiflash.exe

BTW what is this means

Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.

is that means i need EC FW Tool download and run in windows than press start rest of this tool do it self

Audio31

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
I have the same board, updated to F42. A. Using ryzen 5 3600,

Bios key is delete, once in that hover the bottom right and menu shows go to q flash, select the flash menu and your bios update.

You have to update 3 or 4 versions to get to latest, the dimm compatability tool is if your using 4 ram sticks. Download the tool from the website and install the exe. It will restart the pc, boot again and open the folder the exe was in and a txt file will now show, open it will say false or failed if it did not work, true or pass if it did.

Aug 24, 2019
I have the same board, updated to F42. A. Using ryzen 5 3600,

Bios key is delete, once in that hover the bottom right and menu shows go to q flash, select the flash menu and your bios update.

You have to update 3 or 4 versions to get to latest, the dimm compatability tool is if your using 4 ram sticks. Download the tool from the website and install the exe. It will restart the pc, boot again and open the folder the exe was in and a txt file will now show, open it will say false or failed if it did not work, true or pass if it did.

I have ryzen 5 2600x on b450 auros elite....btw i have only 2 ram sticks 2x8gb so thats means i not need that tool

what about update files does i need have all 3 files from bios update zip put on usb stick?
what to do if something goes wrong?
btw you says need update 3 or 4 versions is that means after that i can go directly to F42

Audio31

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
The bios I started with need to be upgraded to the F42a but it says on the bios details on the website to go from the lowest of the 3 new ones to get the latest working.

Download the zip files and unzip, one at a time, when unzipped remove the files (no folder) and select update bios in bios menu.

The dimm compatibility tool just download it unzip the folder and update bios, if you have issues then update it.

Solution
Aug 24, 2019

I will try update one by one and hope all be fine btw you means i must put only bios update file on usb stick not in folder just file on usb stick.

im now on F5 i will update now to F30 and continue to F31....F32...F40 to latest one

Reactions: JAYRS2000
Status
Not open for further replies.