[SOLVED] First time updating bios

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I have done some research on this and want to make sure it is as straightforward as I think. I will soon be putting together a new rig with Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero motherboard. From what I gather any bios version on THIS motherboard will run a 5000 series AMD CPU. I am using a 5900X. I will check the bios version when I fire up the new build. If it is not current I plan to update it. I will be using the EZ Flash utility within the bios to update. So if I am correct I should do the following:

Download most current bios from the asus website onto a USB stick. I don't believe I have to rename the file if using EZ Flash?

Plug the USB into a port on the motherboard back panel. Any of them should work with this method?

Reboot PC and go into bios and start the EZ Flash utility and follow the prompts to update from USB.

If I am missing anything please let me know. Thanks.

Solution
This will be a brand new motherboard so I would hope that it is already at factory defaults. There should be a clear CMOS button on the I/O panel though.

What about renaming the file? Do I need to do that. So far what I have read says if you are using the EZ Flash utility you do NOT have to rename the file.
Renaming BIOS file itself is needed only if BIOS is bricked and have to revive it automatically. It wouldn't hurt but that way you can have only one of them in any folder because name is always ends up same.
Actually if I remember correctly from the last time I did this, when you select the EZ Flash option in the bios, you get a menu which allows you to search all available disks for the bios file. In my case, it was sitting in the folder of my m.2 disk from when I downloaded it, so I didn't have to use a usb drive. A usb drive is only required if you're using the bios flashback button on the back panel in conjunction with the designated bios flashback port as described in section 2.2. of the manual. As section 3.4 of the manual indicates, you press the Tab key to search for the drive and file, but as I remember it you see all your drives including internal drives so you can search for your bios file if its there, location doesn't matter much in this mode. Anyway it sounds like your fully prepared for this.

I have done some research on this and want to make sure it is as straightforward as I think. I will soon be putting together a new rig with Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero motherboard. From what I gather any bios version on THIS motherboard will run a 5000 series AMD CPU. I am using a 5900X. I will check the bios version when I fire up the new build. If it is not current I plan to update it. I will be using the EZ Flash utility within the bios to update. So if I am correct I should do the following:

Download most current bios from the asus website onto a USB stick. I don't believe I have to rename the file if using EZ Flash?

Plug the USB into a port on the motherboard back panel. Any of them should work with this method?

Reboot PC and go into bios and start the EZ Flash utility and follow the prompts to update from USB.

If I am missing anything please let me know. Thanks.
Yes, that's the way and manual says so. Only on thing, when you download BIOS file it will be in .zip format so you have to unzip it first.
PS.
Reset CMOS to factory defaults first.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Yes, that's the way and manual says so. Only on thing, when you download BIOS file it will be in .zip format so you have to unzip it first.
PS.
Reset CMOS to factory defaults first.
This will be a brand new motherboard so I would hope that it is already at factory defaults. There should be a clear CMOS button on the I/O panel though.

What about renaming the file? Do I need to do that. So far what I have read says if you are using the EZ Flash utility you do NOT have to rename the file.

Renaming BIOS file itself is needed only if BIOS is bricked and have to revive it automatically. It wouldn't hurt but that way you can have only one of them in any folder because name is always ends up same.

Reactions: emitfudd
Solution