First time with mechanical keyboard, any recomendations?

darkvizer

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
Hello guys, I'm looking to buy a new keyboard and after reading some reviews I think I'll buy a mechanical one.
I never tested one before but from what I read, I should probably go with Cherry MX Brown/Black Switches because they ane not too sensitive, not too loud and still have the tatic feedback that i look foward to try. The thing is, I dont have much money and if I'm going to spend some I would like a keyboard that lasts long (my current keyboard is 6 years old and works fine).

Could you recomend me a mechanical keyboard that:
- Is durable
- Is backlight (no need for colors, just to use at night)
- Has Cherry MX Brown (or should I go for other?)
- Can be TKL (i dont need a number pad but want the arrows not squished with the cntrl and shift)
- Can have removable wristrest
- Can have USB ports
- Can have dedicated buttons (live volume wheel, etc)
- Is cheap!

My best alternatives so far is the Cooler Master TKL but they have 4 versions(stealth, rapid fire, rapid i and rapid si) and im not sure of their diferences.

Any recomendations?

Thanks agains guys

Ralston18

Titan
There was a saying where I once worked: "Good - Fast - Cheap, Pick two".

The most important thing is the tactile feel - if the keyboard is comfortable (touch, sound, feedback) for you that is the first consideration.

Borrow one for use if you can. Otherwise just go a local vendor and try the keyboard on the shelf.

Backlit is nice but a small USB powered light can serve the same purpose via an unused USB port or even a USB port on the keyboard.

As for six years.... very little is being build to last that long anymore. Would not trust extended warranties either.

Reviews can and do help. Also check the manufacturer's FAQs, forums, and User Manuals/Guides. You can learn more there as well.

darkvizer

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

Thank you. The thing is that I live in Brazil, local stores at my city have no mechanical keyboard for me to try and I'll probably buy one in the US, so the warranty wont be of any use... I am currently reading some guides and reviews but the comunity in forum are usualy very helpfull

dhmnuts

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
From everything you said there I would say go with the Logitech G710+ it has everything you're looking for. It comes in both Browns and Blues. The Logitech G710+ is the brown switches and the normal Logitech G710 is blue switches, both have no difference besides the switches.