First timer

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
hello,

I have a toshiba laptop with xp windows running on it and I just put together a new desktop computer with the windows 7 release candidate on it. My friend gave me an old Linksys router (not wireless, model BEFSR41). I'm not even trying to connect my internet to either of the computers, I just want to connect the two computers together with the router so my wife and I can play the game Age of Mythology. I've spent a total of about 9 hours trying to connect them and have been unsuccessful. I should say at one time I DID have them connected, and was able to transfer files back and forth but I don't know how I did it and now they are no longer connected.

Is there a step by step tutorial on how to do this?
thanks for reading this

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Connect the computers to the router.
On each computer run these commands in a Command Prompt window.
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

If both computers have as IP address in the same range (example: 192.168.1.xxx), they should see each other.
Using a Command Prompt window, Ping the other computers IP address from each computer.

You may have a firewall issue in windows on one or both computers.

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

thanks for the reply. The new computer was indeed given an IP that was very close to the one that my labtop was given. I've now been able to make the two computers able to pass files back and forth and ping works as well on both ends. Thank you. However, when I tried to play Age of Mythology on a LAN connection, I would have my laptop host it. The hoster's IP address always comes up when that computer hosts a game. When my laptop would host it, the address that was given to it by the router would come up in the left hand computer. The new computer could see the hosted game but when trying to join it, a countdown would begin and after 115 seconds it would time out never letting it join. So I tried the opposite and let the new computer host it and the laptop try to join it. Except when the new computer hosts it, the IP address comes up as 0.0.0.0 which was not the IP address given to it and my laptop can't even see the game.

I stopped all the anti-virus and firewalls on both computers and still nothing.

P.S. I'm not sure this is of any relation but I tried to connect to the internet with just my new computer (windows 7) and I can't no matter what I try.