[SOLVED] First two RAM slots do not seem to work

Aug 3, 2021
Hello, I've been having random shutoff and reset issues on my PC for a while now and recently replaced my PSU after searching the internet made me believe it could be a failing power supply. After the install, the computer failed to boot and the motherboard gave off the fast beeping noise; probably indicating a hardware failure.

After testing a bunch of different things, I narrowed it down to this:

Ram slots A1 and B1 (the first two) cause the failure. If I plug one Ram stick in A2 or B2, the computer boots and works normally. If I try the other two, failure. If I try to plug both Ram sticks in sequence (1-3, 2-4), failure. Both Ram sticks work like this so it isn't one failing stick as far as I can tell. They're also both identical.

I've tried reseting the Bios by taking out the watch battery thing on the motherboard and touching the pins and it didn't change anything. I've also tried changing the memory setting (XMP or something like that) in Bios to profile1 and it causes the computer to fail to boot no matter what way the ram is installed.

In addition, now that I only have one 8gb Ram installed, I don't get random crashes as far as I can tell. I had one guaranteed way to get a crash (After Effects Rotobrush set to advanced would instant reset the computer) and it doesn't happen anymore. So it seems like this Ram issue was the culprit all along, not the PSU.

Is this a failing Motherboard? That's the only conclusion I can draw with my limited knowledge on computers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update:
One extra thing. I didn't touch or move the RAM when I replaced the PSU. So the issue happened with the RAM in the same place it was in when it had been working.

My specs.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77-DS3H
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: VENGEANCE® Pro Series — 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit
PSU: ARESGAME Power Supply 650W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU (AGV650)

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, I've been having random shutoff and reset issues on my PC for a while now and recently replaced my PSU after searching the internet made me believe it could be a failing power supply. After the install, the computer failed to boot and the motherboard gave off the fast beeping noise; probably indicating a hardware failure.

Ram slots A1 and B1 (the first two) cause the failure. If I plug one Ram stick in A2 or B2, the computer boots and works normally. If I try the other two, failure. If I try to plug both Ram sticks in sequence (1-3, 2-4), failure. Both Ram sticks work like this so it isn't one failing stick as far as I can tell. They're also both...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Be aware that some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module be placed in a specific RAM slot.

Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website.

Find the applicable User Guide/Manual for your computer's motherboard.

Start by checking RAM and supported RAM configurations. Details matter.

Other supported components are provided via the motherboard's manufacturer's QVL (Qualified Vendors List) via the motherboard's website.

Ensure that all are supported.

Ram slots A1 and B1 (the first two) cause the failure. If I plug one Ram stick in A2 or B2, the computer boots and works normally. If I try the other two, failure. If I try to plug both Ram sticks in sequence (1-3, 2-4), failure. Both Ram sticks work like this so it isn't one failing stick as far as I can tell. They're also both identical.

I've tried reseting the Bios by taking out the watch battery thing on the motherboard and touching the pins and it didn't change anything. I've also tried changing the memory setting (XMP or something like that) in Bios to profile1 and it causes the computer to fail to boot no matter what way the ram is installed.

In addition, now that I only have one 8gb Ram installed, I don't get random crashes as far as I can tell. I had one guaranteed way to get a crash (After Effects Rotobrush set to advanced would instant reset the computer) and it doesn't happen anymore. So it seems like this Ram issue was the culprit all along, not the PSU.

Is this a failing Motherboard? That's the only conclusion I can draw with my limited knowledge on computers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update:
One extra thing. I didn't touch or move the RAM when I replaced the PSU. So the issue happened with the RAM in the same place it was in when it had been working.

My specs.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77-DS3H
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: VENGEANCE® Pro Series — 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit
PSU: ARESGAME Power Supply 650W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU (AGV650)
With one stick of ram installed go to the mobo site and get the latest bios...non beta/ME/Inf.

Reactions: Whitman11223344
Solution

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
had this problem once it was something to do with the bios/memory controller. I erased my bios chip and started from scratch flashing the bios chip with a CHA341A bios programmer and software

used a tool to extract a rom from a cap file bios download, and then used another tool to add back my motherboard information to the rom, dumped the rom hex code bin file to the bios chip. pc booted up, updated bios and no problem after that

Aug 3, 2021
With one stick of ram installed go to the mobo site and get the latest bios...non beta/ME/Inf.
That fixed it. I used a flash drive and updated the mobo. Now it not only uses both Ram sticks. It also doesn't hard reset anymore. I probably could have done this the entire time and not even have needed to buy the new PSU. Oh well, I'll just call it future proofing and be happy that the issue's finally solved.

Thanks a ton, man.

TRENDING THREADS